Cutting a 3/8 BSF Thread

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Cutting a 3/8 BSF Thread

Post by Woodytia »

I know there are a few members on here who know a lot about metal working. Is it possible to use a 3/8 BSF die to modify the thread on an M10 stainless steel? I need a couple of eye bolts to attach guys to for use on my shelter instead of using storm poles. I'm not sure how easy it is to cut stainless steel and I thought M10 would be the best bet as it is the closest in size.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Cutting a 3/8 BSF Thread

Post by Chubman »

when tapping s/steel your drill bit needs to be a few thou over size, and allways use a lube or you will have ragged thread

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Woodytia wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:48 pm I know there are a few members on here who know a lot about metal working. Is it possible to use a 3/8 BSF die to modify the thread on an M10 stainless steel? I need a couple of eye bolts to attach guys to for use on my shelter instead of using storm poles. I'm not sure how easy it is to cut stainless steel and I thought M10 would be the best bet as it is the closest in size.
In short, No.

Stainless steels can be tough on split dies at the best of times and these really should only be used for 'cleaning up' threads. Eye bolts are usually made from A2 stainless and this would effectively destroy any carbon steel die or ruin an HSS one.

M10 is greater in diameter than 3/8" BSF by almost half a millimetre and also has a far different pitch. I do appreciate that you don't need a good thread finish for what you want but this is too big an ask.

If you need something to go over the top of standard M10 x 1,5p threaded eye bolts, send a PM. We might be able to make something in brass..?

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Thanks for the replies, I have the female threaded inserts that will fit the male threads on the shelter, I can always drill each one and attach a decent split ring, I really hope it won't be needed that often as the shelter is pretty stable but there have been times when everything threatened to take off.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”