Efgeeco rod rests

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Michael
Tench

Re: Efgeeco rod rests

Post by Michael »

Duckett wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:55 pm I recall those from the early 1970s when I started fishing. My recollection is that they had a nasty habit of rusting from the inside out. I haven’t had one since but I’d be interested to know if my recollection is correct and if this presents a problem for restoration?
I've not noticed any rusting Duckett, other than a mild dimpling on the surface of the odd one, which has been removed. Bearing on mind a majority of the collection date from the early sixties, so are are pushing 60 years old. (Brass fittings and none of the alloy keys & plastic stuff!)
One reason could be, is that they've always been cleaned after use and rotated in use. Much the same as the rubber heads I've collected..
I've especially use them with my cane rods, when fiitted with the rubber heads. I don't like cane against wood.
In all honesty though, I think the rests will see me out quite easily..

Duckett
Tench

Re: Efgeeco rod rests

Post by Duckett »

Michael wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:52 pm
Duckett wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:55 pm I recall those from the early 1970s when I started fishing. My recollection is that they had a nasty habit of rusting from the inside out. I haven’t had one since but I’d be interested to know if my recollection is correct and if this presents a problem for restoration?
I've not noticed any rusting Duckett, other than a mild dimpling on the surface of the odd one, which has been removed. Bearing on mind a majority of the collection date from the early sixties, so are are pushing 60 years old. (Brass fittings and none of the alloy keys & plastic stuff!)
One reason could be, is that they've always been cleaned after use and rotated in use. Much the same as the rubber heads I've collected..
I've especially use them with my cane rods, when fiitted with the rubber heads. I don't like cane against wood.
In all honesty though, I think the rests will see me out quite easily..
Cheers Michael. I’m always cautious about recollections from when I was only 9 years old plus!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”