Wicker basket

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Paul W
Bleak

Re: Wicker basket

Post by Paul W »

Penninelad wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:02 pm Most people who I have fished with simply use a basket to carry there tackle in and sit on a chair. At my age and weight sitting for long periods on a wicker basket would not be very comfortable!
I hear you !
I just can’t seem to get into the grove ...... when I’ve used a chair I have had one without arm rests or back rest ....
Funny story .....a few years ago I took my dad fishing with Bob nudd as a birthday treat Bob was his idle.
My dad always used a chair and took it on this particular day ....
Anyway my dad started to catch a few and bob asked if he could sit in the chair and have a go .....so he did !
Bob then told my dad who was taking a photo of said event not to publish it on Facebook or the like ? I suppose it was an image thing for Bob lovely bloke though and we had a fabulous day.
Always look forward when walking or you might walk into a wall !

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I have had no experience of wicker seats but I did acquire a traditional creel ala boot sale. Used it once to find that small items fell through the weave. Solution fit an inner lining using an Ikea bag, Useless; every time you delved into it it crinkle loudly.Whole item discarded until it was use as "Dressing" at a classic meeting... my entry Vauxhall Viva Estate 1978 Mr Hartley goes fishing.Since then it is used to house bait boxes in storage. Its also now full of woodworm Venture onto wicker in full knowledge. :doh: Tony

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm At 141/2 stone you need steel reinforcements not willow staves
:Hahaha: if you intend to sit on your basket and why wouldn’t you, and stability, keeping shape is a concern look out for a six stave basket I have seen 5 and 8 staves. You will be AOK! after all that was the only seat available to many whether small or large in stature back in the day.
David if you didn’t keep getting bites you’d stay still long enough for the concern to alleviate it’s all that getting up and down I may have a 12 stave knocking around somewhere :Hahaha:
Its dead easy to go off people Peter 🤣🤣.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm At 141/2 stone you need steel reinforcements not willow staves
:Hahaha: if you intend to sit on your basket and why wouldn’t you, and stability, keeping shape is a concern look out for a six stave basket I have seen 5 and 8 staves. You will be AOK! after all that was the only seat available to many whether small or large in stature back in the day.
David if you didn’t keep getting bites you’d stay still long enough for the concern to alleviate it’s all that getting up and down I may have a 12 stave knocking around somewhere :Hahaha:
Its dead easy to go off people Peter 🤣🤣.

David
:Hat: :fishing1: tight lines Sir!
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm At 141/2 stone you need steel reinforcements not willow staves :Hahaha:
Gawd, I have no chance then-at nearly 20 stone mine would need to be made of rebar :shocked:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I noticed the item in question some time ago, it really is difficult to tell from a picture with regard to quality. They have lots of other baskets for sale so that suggests an element of mass production rather than a central outlet for cottage industry. I've still got the small creel my parents bought me over 40 years ago and it is still nice and solid, I only use it to store tackle these days although it is usable, my Dad's old creel which must be getting on for 80 years old is even better quality and has stood the test of time. I know for a fact mine was hand made by a partially sighted gent who was based in a remote cottage near a place called Inkberrow, perhaps there are similar craftsman / women still making traditional baskets who could turn their hand to making creels but I suspect like so many traditional skills the knowledge and necessary raw materials are in short supply which given the demand is reasonable.

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

Woodytia wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm I noticed the item in question some time ago, it really is difficult to tell from a picture with regard to quality. They have lots of other baskets for sale so that suggests an element of mass production rather than a central outlet for cottage industry. I've still got the small creel my parents bought me over 40 years ago and it is still nice and solid, I only use it to store tackle these days although it is usable, my Dad's old creel which must be getting on for 80 years old is even better quality and has stood the test of time. I know for a fact mine was hand made by a partially sighted gent who was based in a remote cottage near a place called Inkberrow, perhaps there are similar craftsman / women still making traditional baskets who could turn their hand to making creels but I suspect like so many traditional skills the knowledge and necessary raw materials are in short supply which given the demand is reasonable.
Lovely little story pal thanks for sharing 👍

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 pm At 141/2 stone you need steel reinforcements not willow staves :Hahaha:
Gawd, I have no chance then-at nearly 20 stone mine would need to be made of rebar :shocked:
Crikey - 20st your a big chap granted - you must have heavy knees and ankles Ian :Hahaha:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

When I was a young lad, we lived near the Blind Welfare Association or the Blind School as it was known in those days, where they made all sorts of baskets from plant pot holders to massive laundry baskets and bath chairs.
My mother had a shop just around the corner so we knew all the workers very well and one year for my birthday she had one made for me with a bit of extra decorative weaving along the upper edges.

I often wandered over there to watch them making stuff. There were a couple of very skilled woodworkers too. It always amazed me how a person without sight could learn to make stuff.
I can still remember the smell of the huge baths full of wicker and cane strips, soaking for days before use and all left out overnight. Imagine that these days.

They made all the seat boxes for the local tackle shops and beyond. It was a fully hand made operation but on a scale of almost mass production.

I can remember a few years back seeing a picture of a barn stuffed to the rafters with seat boxes and other wicker baskets. This was after they had fallen out of fashion with anglers due to the arrival of the plastic seat box and they could no longer shift them. It may have been in the angling times.

Wal.

Paul W
Bleak

Post by Paul W »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:45 pm When I was a young lad, we lived near the Blind Welfare Association or the Blind School as it was known in those days, where they made all sorts of baskets from plant pot holders to massive laundry baskets and bath chairs.
My mother had a shop just around the corner so we knew all the workers very well and one year for my birthday she had one made for me with a bit of extra decorative weaving along the upper edges.

I often wandered over there to watch them making stuff. There were a couple of very skilled woodworkers too. It always amazed me how a person without sight could learn to make stuff.
I can still remember the smell of the huge baths full of wicker and cane strips, soaking for days before use and all left out overnight. Imagine that these days.

They made all the seat boxes for the local tackle shops and beyond. It was a fully hand made operation but on a scale of almost mass production.

I can remember a few years back seeing a picture of a barn stuffed to the rafters with seat boxes and other wicker baskets. This was after they had fallen out of fashion with anglers due to the arrival of the plastic seat box and they could no longer shift them. It may have been in the angling times.

Wal.
It really is a shame that traditional businesses have suffered with modern times especially one that helps people with disabilities.
Unfortunately it’s the way of the world......
Lovely story though 👍

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”