Wicker Creel

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
DWW
Grayling

Wicker Creel

Post by DWW »

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help please ?
I bought my creel as an 11 year old from Bennetts of Sheffield for the sum of £5 . It has been through many stages of my fishing life and I think I need to give it a bit of TLC. So its being booked in for a repair to the lid .
Does anyone know of the appropriate oil or "unction " to apply to the wicker to bring back colour ? I was wondering about some linseed oil but any advice much appreciated. I will need a new shoulder strap and buckle to fasten the lid . Any recomendations on where I might get one please ?
Cheers
DWW

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Wicker Creel

Post by Penninelad »

I used to use a mixture of Linseed oil and Danish oils but now just use Danish oil.
Mark Davies

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

If you search the forum you should find the recipe for the formula to apply to the whicker work. Although I've used it I can never remember the three constituents. It's boiled linseed oil, white vinegar (I think) and one other. It works exceptionally well. I'd suggest leaving the creel in a water butt (or similar) overnight and letting it throughly dry out before applying the mixture. The long soak will tighten it up.

I'm sure you know that you should never varnish a creel.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

As Beresford says, soak well first, which will tighten it up wonderfully, allow to dry out before treatment.
Personally, I like Linseed oil, but Danish will do much the same job-and dry much quicker without the smell!

For a fastening strap, if you perchance have an old leather dog collar, these can be cut down and adapted to make a good fastener.
For a new shoulder strap, there is nothing to beat the webbing, shoulder strap as fitted to old gas mask bags. They are still quite easy to get hold of because millions were made and are both comfortable to carry and far superior to the so-called, replacement leather straps sold today. I bought one of those and quite honestly, the buckles are cheap (and look it) and the stitching is appalling!

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I always cleaned, soaked then varnished and mine is as good as 1970 when I bought it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Excellent thanks ! The creel is off to the menders next week and following repairs i will show it a bit of TLC . It will be good to get it out fishing again ! I used to cycle with it on my back until the fateful day the strap broke and it slipped down causing a major crash luckily on an empty early morning road and no breakages to the rods on the cross bar ! It also never quite fitted in the boot of my Morris Minor which required bungee straps to hold the boot lid in place with it inside .
I will keep you posted !
DWW

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I’m sure somebody here was selling new replacement leather straps?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Steve (Traditional Angling) on here has them I seem to remember - I purchased one a while ago now and it’s still going strong.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Pallenpool wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am Steve (Traditional Angling) on here has them I seem to remember - I purchased one a while ago now and it’s still going strong.
I purchased one of those many moons ago and it is still going strong, lovely quality it is. :Thumb:

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I know Mon Ami Martin James jet washes his then uses linseed oil, if its good enough for him then ots very good for me too.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”