Traditional sea fishing rods, reels and tackle...

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Traditional sea fishing rods, reels and tackle...

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Mr B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:52 pm And one from the good old days

Herne Bay Pier.

Mr B
Southern tiddler snatchers!

This is a scene from Whitby. One man's morning catch.............

He threw back the little ones :Wink:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:58 pm
Kev D wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:56 pm I've been using a 9 foot cane rod coupled with an Alvey ( courtesy of Mole Patrol) for boat fishing this Summer. My casting technique is less than elegant but l can heave leads between one and five ounces maybe 35 yards from the boat- most of the time :whistle:
I gather loops in one hand,at which point my companions are either bearing worried looks :Scared: , rolling their eyes 🙄 at my idiocy or simply waiting for something to go wrong :monkeys:
If (That should probably be an upper case IF... ) l get the timing right l can gain extra yards by flicking the drum while the lead is in flight.
I would possibly do better with more user friendly and sensitive modern tackle but it adds a bit of fun to the day.
On one occasion l handed the rod,complete with an attached conger to the chap next to me so he could share my boyish glee. He handed it back in about ten seconds - scared he would break something.
It wouldn't 've bothered me; the rod cost £9.50 and anyway some of the chaps bring bundles of spare rods with them. If l grovelled someone would've lent me one.
Hopefully .
I have a Mitchell 624 that you can have Kev, if you fancy a 'proper' casting reel :laugh:

Might be a bit more difficult to change over to left hand wind than Alvin was but it should give you that extra few yards without worrying about one of the loops getting around your ankle and you following the lead into the briny :oops:
🤣🤣🤣lt seems you have seen me casting!
I do have modern reels too. That's if an lntrepid Sea Streak counts as modern . Though it is used for trail laying when training deer -casualty tracking dogs more than fishing these days. My favourite 'sea ' reel is weeny ABU Blue Max that the rest of the crew have been taking bets on as to when it will go crunch fom the moment ll produced it on board about six years ago!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Anybody wanting to view old sea angling films should have a look on here..

https://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/angling

I am sure one or two of us on here will have starring roles 😋

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Herne Bay Pier.

Mr B

What is with you Northerners that you feel compelled to take photographs of your bait ?🙂 l mean the small boys . Using them was very much frowned upon down South though Tropicana Tackle in Littlehampton is said to have done an under the counter trade in orphans up to the mid 1980s
That is one heck of a reel though!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Kev D wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:17 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Herne Bay Pier.

Mr B

What is with you Northerners that you feel compelled to take photographs of your bait ?🙂 l mean the small boys . Using them was very much frowned upon down South though Tropicana Tackle in Littlehampton is said to have done an under the counter trade in orphans up to the mid 1980s
That is one heck of a reel though!
Small boys might have been readily dispensable dahn sarf, but oop norf they were needed to go up chimneys and under looms to keep the Industrial Revolution going. Those that survived the initial tasks that small boys were used for sometimes got issued with delivery bikes and set to work taking bread up steep, cobbled streets, always it seems, to the accompaniment of a brass band.

The reel was probably borrowed from a colliery winding house. Most of the reels used on the Yorkshire coast were fashioned in the blacksmith's shops of collieries. Either that or the angler put in a fraudulent requisition note to the storeman for a Hardy Fortuna hoping to pass it off as a capstan on the haulage system.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

After looking at the above photo’s
I thought it about time I looked out for a proper Yorkshire wooden Scarborough reel... more fishing tackle!!!! My poor wife!!!!
Very interesting salty post.
I came back from Whitby just before this last lockdown.
First time in Whitby. Lovely.
The photo bellow I found interesting...
I have never herd of a Burma pole.
Any of you TFF old salts ever seen one?
Well not a bad string of Bass from the pier!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

A 20' alloy pole with a pulley wheel attached is used by the seasoned cliff top fishermen at Bempton cliffs.
The line is slipped onto the pulley, then the pole is pushed out as far as possible. This enables them to winch a decent codling 300 feet up the cliff without snagging the line on the rocks of the cliff face.
I have even seen these poles fitted with a net on the end, operated by a lever to make it swing up to the horizontal to trap the fish.
Traditional? I would say that the ingenuity involved is in the traditional spirit.
No longer for me, one slip can be fatal.
bemmo.jpg
bemmo3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

That’s interesting!!!
Things we do for a few fish!
Interesting reading, thanks for showing us that.
I have seen a drop net on a long thick pitch fork handle with a crude end ring whipped on the end with an Alvey reel attached by two jubilee clips.
They used that to land the fish high up on the rock platform keeping the net away from the rocks...
No much like hard work!
A deck chair, a sunny day, a knotted hankie and a rod rest will do me... and... let’s hope the fish are not biting!
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

In NZ I have a built cane fly rod rescued from a junk shop for $20.00 - about a tenner.

I cut out the two damaged bits, 6 inches from the tip and 9 inches from just below the ferrule on the butt.

I measured carefully and after returning to the UK found a suitable new ferrule which I made sure I took when we returned for the winter of 2019/20.

Steve of Steves Tackle in Wellington fixed me up with suitably vintage-ish rings and whipping thread.

The rod was put back together and now is far stiffer and with more 'beef' than I hoped for.

Should make a nice rod used with my Intrepid 'Extra' for freelining a pilchard for snapper.

Traditional fishing down under!

If, in fact, we can get back. Four years ago we shipped most of the good sea fishing gear out, and it was a good move.

Our Grandson should be old enough to come on a charter next time.

He will love it!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Mr B wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 pm After looking at the above photo’s
I thought it about time I looked out for a proper Yorkshire wooden Scarborough reel... more fishing tackle!!!! My poor wife!!!!
Very interesting salty post.
I came back from Whitby just before this last lockdown.
First time in Whitby. Lovely.
The photo bellow I found interesting...
I have never herd of a Burma pole.
Any of you TFF old salts ever seen one?
Well not a bad string of Bass from the pier!
Here you go a piece from a JB Walker
Also a article from fishing magazine
Image :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”