Abbey Bread Punch

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Abbey Bread Punch

Post by AshbyCut »

What a great find for my coming new season on the Ashby Canal !!!

Winging it's way to me is this "new old stock' Abbey Bread punch, made by Asco Products of Horwich, near Bolton.

Supplied with 3 sizes of brass punch, the spares are held in the barrel to keep them safe.

It looks like it has a 'pen style clip,' so will slip nicely into one of the top pockets on my gilet !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Abbey Bread Punch

Post by Duckett »

Blimey Mal, that takes me back. My first ever bread punch in the early 1970s looked identical to that, right down to the red plastic screw in cap! Thanks for sharing.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Ooh! I still have and use one of those, bought from the local tackle shop with some pocket money.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I still have one in my tackle box,although I rarely use it. I should do ,but don't eat the white sliced bread that you need to use the punch on.
Mark Davies

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I had one when I was a nipper but it had a metal screw in cap rather than a plastic one. I'll have to see if it made the journey out to France.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Coral Maestro wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:45 am I had one when I was a nipper but it had a metal screw in cap rather than a plastic one. I'll have to see if it made the journey out to France.
Yep, mine had a brass cap too. Only lost it a few years ago. Happily got a replacement in a job lot last year.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Always wondered how you hook the bread - especially at breathless matchman speed - without ruining the hook-point?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

John Milford
Perch

Post by John Milford »

Vole wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:40 pm Always wondered how you hook the bread - especially at breathless matchman speed - without ruining the hook-point?
I'm not sure if the Abbey is the same, but one of my similar bread punches has a slot in each of the four brass heads, through which the bread pellet can be easily hooked?

(On a second one of mine, only the two smallest heads are slotted, but the larger two are not).

Screenshot_20230710-161222_Photos~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Mine's probably not a pukka "Abbey", then. Maybe I should risk its vintage status and slot the heads!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:21 pm
Vole wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:40 pm Always wondered how you hook the bread - especially at breathless matchman speed - without ruining the hook-point?
I'm not sure if the Abbey is the same, but one of my similar bread punches has a slot in each of the four brass heads, through which the bread pellet can be easily hooked?

(On a second one of mine, only the two smallest heads are slotted, but the larger two are not).

Screenshot_20230710-161222_Photos~2.jpg
I shall be slotting mine directly...
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”