Angling poetry and art

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Angling poetry and art

Post by Lea Dweller »

Thanks Jeremy, we share a ‘talent’😃 In the past I have written some lyrics for amateur shows, and I wrote a ‘proper’ poem for my wife for our 50th wedding anniversary, so it does come in useful :Hat:

Cane
Grayling

Wall’s advertisement 1951

Post by Cane »

I think the lesson I got from that was that it is cheaper to let the lads have a day’s fishing on your bit of the river, than to end up with a ducking and a large bill for ice cream! 😁

This advertisement appeared in the Eagle comic of 1951.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Fishing game

Post by Cane »

Sort of art- ish!
I found this board game in an antiques shop and it seemed just the thing for a dark winter’s evening. Also, the only fishing related thing my wife has enjoyed, apart from the odd picnic by the river and losing me for hours. :Chuckle:
The game was made by “Pepys,” but not sure when. It is both a game of luck and strategy. Good fun anyway and each game is time limited by the number of cards and the race back to the pub at the end. So just like real life then! Cheers.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

George Morland (1763 - 1804) ''A Party Angling''. Looks like oil on canvas.

Dom.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Very classy :tea:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’m proud to say my fishing trips are still very much like this - a fair maiden on the boat casting more than just a line - now then where have my anti-delusional pills got to?
:Chuckle:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I like the late Poet Laureate and angler Ted Hughes. Over the years I've collected quite a few of his books & collections, though some folk find his work a tad dark & gritty.
Another book is the "The Bent Pin" it's an anthology of fishing poetry, compiled by Kenneth Hopkins, a good read...

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I would rather see her safely ashore than stood up in the boat; it would be very unstable! Surely she and the other four would be concerned on their well being not their fishing! :Beg:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

The artist seemingly knew about fishing. Look at the details of the tackle and the fish is very recognisable perch.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Love the painting, the detail is sublime. Not sure about the H&S aspect though, swimming to shore in those dresses would be a chore. I like that they've added some kitchen chairs for comfort too - all mod cons. Just image the grand estate lake they'd be drifting across - oh to nip into the time capsule and have a dabble there

The board game looks like a great find, never heard of it's like before. If we could collectively obtain a few sets then the TFF Winter Indoor League could be formed ....... to be held in a suitable pub of course.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”