Fallon's Angler Issue 17 and new Film

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Kev Parr
Perch

Fallon's Angler Issue 17 and new Film

Post by Kev Parr »

Hey All

Hope no-one minds me sharing this.

Fallon's Angler Issue 17 is at press so will be floating off to subscribers as soon as we get the copies back. The theme is based on Outsiders, and focuses on Del Harding who Nick and Garrett tracked down in the summer. He featured on a Matt Hayes programme ('Mainstream') a few years ago and is a fascinating soul who lives a life away from the main current.

There are also pieces by Chris Yates, Dexter Petley, Richard Gorodecky, The General, me,Graham Vasey and many, many more.

More details are on the website www.fallonsangler.net which is also where you can watch Nick Fallowfield-Cooper's film 'The Outsider' which tells the tale of Del Harding and has received lots of positive feedback already.

The film can be watched here - (for free) https://fallonsangler.net/new-film-the- ... l-harding/

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the autumn.

very best Kev

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Fallon's Angler Issue 17 and new Film

Post by RBTraditional »

Wow! Kev, these films just get better and better, that was superb. Thanks for the heads up regarding the latest Fallons issue, now ordered. Without a prompt I’d probably forget... yes I know I could take out a subscription but I’m crap at doing things like that too... :Hat: :Wink:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I watched the film on YouTube yesterday as it came up in my recommended page. Another great character, not many left now I fear.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I watched the film prepared to be Wow-ed. I was disappointed, worried and slightly annoyed.

I liked the way it was filmed and presented. The music was great.

I was disappointed by the telling of a story which might encourage others to aspire to an alternative life style. It was very romantic, the scenery, dogs, horse and cottage in the woods. It gave the impression that he lives as an Outsider "away from the main current". In my opinion that is irresponsible. If the film had shown the winter rain, the mud and snow, the lack of services and the occasional journey to the shop/garage for food and petrol it would have been balanced.

I was worried for his health and mental state. Old age and illness will eventually force him back into the main current.

I was annoyed because I got the impression that if it were not for him fishing, this film would probably not have been made. We have an ex-serviceman who lives in the forest. He has a house but he chooses to live as a down-and-out. Nobody has made a film about him. There are hundreds of homeless people with drug / alcohol / mental illnesses and their lifestyle is not an aspiration.

Living 'off grid' is not something we should encourage.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I’m not so sure about that Nigel ...choice is a wonderful thing.... I know and have known a few characters in my time who live an alternative lifestyle to the rest of us doing the daily grind and conforming to society’s norms, none that I am aware of have or had dependency issues or mental health problems, they just want(ed) to live simply and close to nature... take Ben Law for instance a woodsman who prefers to live and work a very basic lifestyle... if it makes them happy then let be I say.
I take your point though about those who are forced to sleep rough for one reason or another, that is a tragedy in a wealthy society like ours.....

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

RBT,

Ben Law works, is an author, teaches and lives near Lodsworth (very posh village), not far from where I fish. Not off grid by any measure. His lifestyle is admirable, inspirational. That is an alternative way of working and contributing. Perhaps Del Harding leads a similar life, if so, the film could have given us a better insight.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I take it from Del Harding’s situation, but I could be wrong, being left a bundle of money to buy his property that he isn’t hard up for a bob or two. When you live a self sufficient lifestyle like the one portrayed in the film one needs few comforts with the exception of food and warmth, basic and simple....
Reference Ben Law, yes he’s made quite a little business out of what he does and good luck to him as he still manages to live very simply in comparison to the current consumer / materialist led society that we have built ... I bet when he started out things weren’t all roses though.....
I’m a firm believer that success and wealth are not necessarily a measure of happiness, some of the happiest people I know are as poor as a church mouse... but want for nothing as they enjoy their lot in life and aren’t on the treadmill.....like the rest of us :Hat:

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

If an individual has chosen his or her path and it is one that is of an simple necessity then so be it - whether one has money, jobs, no job, wealth, or is poor it is an affirmative choice and is in accordance with their individual values.

The very unfortunate circumstances many that are homeless have little or absolutely no choice - to my mind they are two distinct groups.

Peter
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I make no criticism of Del Harding, he might be very happy. My concerns are with the film which might encourage others to go off grid with little reserves or back up. I get the same feeling when I read of people going to live in the jungle with a young family and no idea.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Can’t see it having that much of an influence on anybody really.
Interesting character though & nice film :Thumb:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”