Book recommendations please.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Book recommendations please.

Post by Santiago »

This Fishing by LA Parker and Angling From Many Angles by the Silver Doctor, if you can find copies. Possibly two of the best angling books that I have ever read, and certainly are in my ' top ten angling books to read before you die' list.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Apologies for not replying sooner, but I've been away for a couple of days, so thanks again for so many recommendations...It's cast fair for the winter evenings (with he odd glass of port)!
However Dave, I think you may have thrown the gauntlet down with cane and pin for maseer!
I'm fully confident that my quest will end in a 60lb+ fish easily caught on a MkIV Avon / 300 (admittedly, not a pin) combo in glacial melt water, and who needs a clutch as I'm sure a bit of Walker esque finger pressure on the head will comfortably calm the placid beast...they just look like big goldfish! (#This view may change once I've read the book!).
Regards Cat

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

The painted stream--Robin Armstrong
Going fishing--Negley Farson
I know a good place--Clive Gammon
Somewhere down the crazy river - Paul Boote/Jeremy Wade
Quest for carp- Jack Hilton
The Carp strikes back--Rod Hutchinson
The witchery of water-- HG C Claypoole
A giant among rivers--Richard Snailham
Reflections on a river--Howard Marshall

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Beneath the black water by jon berry. I'm not good with words so i'll give you Chris Yates description from the back cover. " Beneath the black water is the wonderful account of a mad, disrupting , unforgiving but ultimately joyous addiction- an addiction not just to the ferox , but to the wild waterscapes they inhabit. No fellow angler could be unimpressed; no ordinary human will quite believe it." Personally i'm a big fan of Jon Berry,s work i think this is his best book so far. In case i wasn't clear it's about fishing for ferox trout.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

An obvious classic, but still worth mentioning is "No need to lie" by Richard Walker. Also on the late, great RW is " Richard Walker - Biography of an Angling Legend" by Barrie Rickards, an excellent ' behind the scenes' read on the great man. Last, but not least, is "A Passion for Angling", the companion book to the TV series - worth the read for the photos and sight of classic gear being used to catch big fish! Happy reading!! John.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Marks7 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:51 pm I’m currently reading ‘I Know a Good Place’ by the late lamented Clive Gammon; great fishing stories by a great writer.
Hook, Line and Spinner by the same author.
In Visible Waters by John Bailey.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Aitch wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:52 pm How To Fish by Chris Yates... a magical little book and probably my favourite fishing book
I must admit I found this book absolutely charming....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

maurice pledgers books are very good

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”