Book recommendations please.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
GregF
Crucian Carp

Re: Book recommendations please.

Post by GregF »

Trevor wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:32 pm How about Lost in a Quiet World by Paul Cook - the tale of a boys quest for his first big carp.
A modern classic.
Excellent recommendation! Ideal fireside reading. I'd also put John Bailey's Travels with a Two-Piece on the list. Another book that will take you somewhere else.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Maurice Wiggin 'The Passionate Angler' and Bernard Venables 'The Gentle Art of Angling'

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It's not traditional but Somewhere Down the Crazy Rive by Paul Boote and Jeremy Wade is about rediscovering Mahseer fishing and Giant Tiger Fish - it's a fantastic read by a couple of pioneers.

Jack Hilton Books are a good read and Rod Hutchinson's The Carp Strikes back chronicles the birth him and Chris Yates' adventures and discoveries at Redmire. It's typical Hutchy writing ie hilarious.

For more gentle reading anything by FJ Taylor or Pete Stone will warm the cockles.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent Gentlemen,
Thank you all, and greatly appreciated.
I have this dream about chasing maseer with a Hardy rod of the same name. (I'm sure there is an appropriate accompanying reel (probably not a K P Morrits Black Prince!)). 'Perchance to dream', and all that, but I'll probably never get there, although we could launch a TFF expedition - cane and pins for maseer!?
Regards Cat

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

you want try the new red mire book by tony meers its a very good book so is robert olsen new book both can be found on the harperfineangling site

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Cat wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:34 pm Excellent Gentlemen,
Thank you all, and greatly appreciated.
I have this dream about chasing maseer with a Hardy rod of the same name. (I'm sure there is an appropriate accompanying reel (probably not a K P Morrits Black Prince!)). 'Perchance to dream', and all that, but I'll probably never get there, although we could launch a TFF expedition - cane and pins for maseer!?
Regards Cat
If you read 'Crazy River' you may want to alter your tackle choice :eyebrow: Tales of fully tightened clutches yielding yards of line and the line scoring the rod..... I read mine wearing a safety harness.

Mind you, if you get one on cane and pin, you are destined for the TFF hall of fame..... second only to Mal's big carp I reckon :Hahaha:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

A little bit different but a brilliant read is 'A Poachers tale' by Fred J Speakman. It is the life story of an Essex poacher Alfred Thomas Curtis and includes Fishing, Bird catching and poaching.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Fredline wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:36 pm Brendon Chase. In fact anything by BB.
Great book, one of my favourites, I have to admit I also loved “the little grey men” and its sequel “down the bright stream” even though they are “children’s” books and not specifically about fishing.

I would recommend Casting at the sun, but I guess you will have read that.
As mentioned, Paul Cook’s lost in a quiet world is a great book, you will enjoy it if you like Yates & BB, there is a book called “Blood Knots” by Luke Jennings, that’s a great read too, at first I was unsure if it was for me but I really enjoyed it.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Harry wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:52 pm How To Fish by Chris Yates... a magical little book and probably my favourite fishing book
What a sweet little book this is, it's a outstanding read.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm
Harry wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:52 pm How To Fish by Chris Yates... a magical little book and probably my favourite fishing book
What a sweet little book this is, it's a outstanding read.

Thanks
BB
If you would like to loan this book I could send it to you.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”