Waterlog - should I let it go?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Simon F
Ruffe

Waterlog - should I let it go?

Post by Simon F »

Hi Gents and Ladies ,

My good Lady Wife has insisted that I clear my study and make room on my bookshelves for some of the books piled on the floor. This has been a disturbing experience for me as getting rid of any book is something I feel very bad about. But it must be done I suppose. I do wonder what the village hall book Sale made of some of my more esoteric books that I released back in to the Wild with hem last month..

However; on one shelf I have the full set 1 - 100 of Waterlog. Though I dream that I shall, when I retire (3.5 years and counting), sit back and re-read them all, I fear I may not. I have a near full set of Trollope ( still looking for 15 of the 48 folio editions) which I am promising myself to re-read first- and also lots of actual fishing to do, along with old tractors to maintain and a Wife to amuse.

So, what to do?
Is there a market for a set of Waterlogs?
Is there a value to these things?
Should I keep them for myself, and just dip in? I was always wishing that Medlar would publish at the end an index to all the issues?

Suggestions please?

Simon
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Waterlog - should I let it go?

Post by Liphook »

I've heard of but never actually seen Waterlog. Should you wish to sell then I could be tempted !
Last edited by Liphook on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Well - firstly there is a market for the Waterlog issues - No1 and the Birthday editions being the most collectible
They can garner upto £15 per copy. For the rest anywhere between £3-5. As a complete set however one maybe able to achieve a better overall asking price - the only way to determine all the above is try them on the open market - possibly and if not through the TFF then ‘that’ auction site.

The best - well most of the best articles in Waterlog were published by Medlar in book form - so there is an option to retain some of the memories. I have noticed recently some daft prices being asked for this book - so it would pay to have patience.

Whatever you decide it will be the right thing at the time - just remember what we do on one particular day can haunt us the next - and really no one can help with your decision - it is after all very personal.

Peter

:Hat:
Last edited by Pallenpool on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I sense some doubt in your voice Simon, if thats the case then I would keep them sir. I have regretted parting with all sorts of things over the years. It has taken you a long time to collect so keep them for a rainy day.
Yes there is a market for Waterlog, especially a complete 1-100 set.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'd keep the magazines and sell the wife.... have you considered that?

I'm certain you can find a bit of room somewhere, maybe a plastic box in a shed or garage, and they will still be waiting for that first wet winter after you retire. They will retain a value but once sold - you will never get them back.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

I used to have many of the early waterlogs, I read them front to back and eventually I sold them, I regret it now, I would say keep hold of them.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Simon F
Ruffe

Post by Simon F »

I do have the hard-copy 101, I would not get rid of that though.

Will I face the same conundrum when I have the full set of Fallons?
``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have the first 125+ of "Fishing" starting in Feb 1963. Articles by Walker, Taylor and others of that period. I have thought of selling but if I did - they would be gone forever! A pain in some ways but they easily fit into a £6 plastic box from Wilko and left in the loft for the future. Stored with anti-bookworm pellets!!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The only publication I ever bought all of and kept was the Fishermans HandBook... I have all 3 volumes in binders...
I'd say keep the books and mags and swap the missus...😉
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'd strongly suggest that you keep them. I have up to around issue 60 and it's a great pleasure to dip into them every now and then.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”