What are you reading?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Reedling »

Around the boot fairs and charity shops etc I quite often come across books related to fishing and if the price is right (£1 or so) I buy them. Well Its not just fishing books I buy and this leads to not being able to see the wood for the trees and many of my books are often re-found in the depths of a spare room. One such book is Master Fisherman, Carp, by Kevin Clifford published in 1989 which I found last week and have been flicking through ever since. Now I am a pleasure fisherman not a specimen hunter etc so this book may be a bit basic to some of you but I must say I have found it a very interesting read and it made me think a lot more about the fish and catching Carp in various ways. As I said it is probably pretty basic to some of you but it certainly got my grey matter going.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

I buy fishing books and mags from the boot sales and the charity shops as well,But my latest book I had to spend about £30 I think,but it was worth it as I have some of his other books and enjoyed reading them, The first seventy years...by Archie Braddock

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Currently its "wilding" by Isabella Tree, then "the wisdom of trees" by Max Adams and finally "Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing: Life, Death and the Thrill of the catch" by Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse
Last edited by Hovis on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Hovis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 pm Currently its "wilding" by Isabelle Tree, then "the wisdom of trees" by Max Adams and finally "Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing: Life, Death and the Thrill of the catch" by Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse
Izzy Tree's book is interesting . You should probably read it with the "spin" filter engaged and some aspects of the rewilding scheme don't bear too much scrutiny .
The project is on my doorstep,in fact l used to work on the Estate,and l regularly saunter about the place. I think it's great.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Essential reading when preparing and and looking forward to the close season.... should keep me busy for a few weekends...

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

Carp & the Carp Angler by George Sharman. First read this in the early 80's it was my bible. Lost my original but just purchased another old copy for £1.89 including postage, £ 6.06 cheaper than my first copy lol.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

What? Am I reading? True Grit by Charles Portis: https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Grit-Char ... 372&sr=8-2. There is no knowing what is in a man's heart.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I am re-reading "The Expert Roach Fisher" by J. W. Gosling ... published in 1934 by Philip Allen and Co., whose sleeve notes say :-

"Here is an admirable text-book for those contemplative folk whose hobby is to spend peaceful hours with rod and line on the banks of our inland waters. Mr. Gosling not only knows all there is to be known about roach fishing, but he has the gift of describing in good plain language the arts and crafts that go to make up success."

Sounds like the perfect TFF member !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

We are off to Norfolk for a long weekend, so i'm taking 'One last cast' by Peter Rolfe, I'm hoping that I get the chance to have a quiet perusal.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Currently reading ‘’Confession of a Carp Fisher’’. It was interesting to read that BB considered use of what we would now describe as a bait boat as a technique with ‘excellent results’. When you also consider Richard Walker’s use of bait alarms, one could be forgiven for thinking that those with a view that mid-century fishing techniques were ‘traditional’ and should be maintained, perhaps would be surprised that non-traditional techniques seem to have been employed without too much thought about what should be considered traditional or not. The aim appears to have been about catching the largest possible specimen as possible and technique was whatever would achieve the aim.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”