Ditchfield's Little Wonder Books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Kev D
Chub

Ditchfield's Little Wonder Books

Post by Kev D »

I came across these two gems while rearranging my bookshelves. I remember buying or having them bought for me back in the 60s .
Interestingly they quote the carp record as 26lb which infers they were type-set between 1930 and 1951.

My brother and l had several of these little books. They were part of a prolific series covering everything from pig and goat rearing to the care of fancy mice and rats.
20200305_195900_resized.jpg
20200305_200747_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Ditchfield's Little Wonder Books

Post by Tonkin Wand »

"Fishing for all ages",the first book on angling I ever bought with pocket money,aged about ten. Read it and reread it until I could almost recite the contents chapter and verse. Still could not catch anything worth talking about until much older.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

I remember these little publications very well.
I learned a lot from these books
When I was a boy, I bought a number of them and one or two of them are possibly still knocking about somewhere.
Around Yorkshire they were often sold in Pet Shops.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Look on Google under Ditchfields Famous Pet Books. Lots of information given on all aspects of the three fishing related booklets. Note the first launch price,... 4d worth a shilling....quaint language of an age long gone. :snooty:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I still kick myself because when a little gardening and pet food shop shut down in the 1980s they had hundreds of Ditchfield Wonder Books in a crate, reduced to 5pence each.
And l resisted the temptation.......
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I'm sure Chris Yates writes about the coarse fishing one in Casting at the Sun. The early days before he caught his first fish.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”