Inscriptions in old Angling books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Inscriptions in old Angling books

Post by Mr B »

I love old Angling books and nothing pleases me more to read an the words penned In passed times.
I think of why the book given and under what circumstances.
I always look up the address and see if the house is still there if there was an address in the book.

Below are two of my books.
Be interested to see others.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Inscriptions in old Angling books

Post by Mr B »

And one more.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

A splendid idea - let’s hope there will indeed be a few more to show - I do not have many - if any - but I will have a rummage around and see what’s what.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I agree. Purists hate inscriptions but I think they make an edition very personal. Here are a couple to add to the thread.
ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I like an inscription. Sadly, none of my small number of angling books have one!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

C F Tunnicliffe - a superb artist - and very excelled in all nature's life. I have several books which are illustrated by him. It always amazes me how one can be so skilled. I also like Lucy Dawson - Dogs - Rough and Smooth - how one can capture the essence of a dog in a few pencil line is beyond belief.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-image3

I have the 1937 copy - bought it to prevent another person buying it. He was going to break it up and sell the individual pictures. Sacrilege

Sorry to have gone slightly off topic.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I am lucky enough to have a first edition Confessions of a Carp Fisher by BB.It has a pen inscription in it.Which reads B.J. on his Unbirthday.Oct 11 1955
from Gary.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Lovely, all great comments, and keep them coming.
Really nice to see the photos, love em! Thanks
I didn’t realise that purists didn’t like that sort of thing.
The BB book is very interesting, as is our friend Duckett who hasn’t got many books!
Lovely dog too I wish I was that artistic!
Looks like a little Lakeland type?
And the two that I didn’t post last time.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

I bought this book from a bookshop in Lyme Regis with a lovely inscription inside. I would presume it was written when the book was purchased in 1972.

I love finding old inscriptions in books. It's part of there history. But collecters don't seem to like that.

I have a few more with inscriptions to which I'll post later.

This is a nice thread

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Here's another two. I know one isn't fishing related but had to show.

This person must have been very well liked after 60 years of service. The amount of time spent on this beautiful artwork must have taken a while. I can't find anything relating to the 7th. But there is to the 8th and 24th.

And from one brother to another.

I especially like the BIRDS OF THE BRITISH ISLES AND THEIR EGGS by T. A. Coward

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”