Trout adventure books?

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Champ
Chub

Re: Trout adventure books?

Post by Champ »

One book that is a little different is Trout An Illustrated History by James Prosek.It is full of trout from around the world beautifully painted by James.I saw a copy in a bookshop.Had a good look and was fascinated.When i went back to buy the copy it was gone.I forgot about it till now.
Apparently there is an updated version available.Trout of The World by the same author.I think that i might get this one!.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Oh so many to choose from Josh! 3 I have read and reread many times are The Western Angler by R. Haig -Brown, Trout from the Hills by Ian Niall and Trout Bum by John Gierach. Anything by all 3 authors in fact, as they are top drawer in my opinion

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

There are (or should be!) plenty of reprints Josh. TFF member Sneezewort very kindly sent me a copy that I forwarded on to a friend. Leave it with me and I'll see if I can't dig one up at sensible money. Failing that you can borrow mine

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

BreadFlake wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:09 pm I'm creating a list of books I want to casually buy. I'm interested in books on Trout fishing, not the how to style but adventure/stories/tales. I have John bailey's travels with a two piece and I am thoroughly enjoying it so any books in this style is perfect. Sea Trout and Salmon included as well.

Any recommendations?
If you like John Bailey, Trout at Ten Thousand Feet is a pretty good read. The style is a bit different to Travels with a Two Piece, written later in his career and not quite as lyrical. It has some great stories.

Another good James Prosek one, if you can find it, is Early Love and Brook Trout.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I would highly recommend Jon Beers 3 books, he trout fishes wild places, a lot of places he fishes are free fishing or where he knocks on a farm door to ask if he can fish, and proves there is loads of free fishing.

Jon has a brilliant sense of humour. The 1st book Gone Fishing is the best, definitely add this to your list, you will not be disappointed.

I met Jon, and have all my books personally inscribed.

Greenwells Glory
Minnow

Post by Greenwells Glory »

Plenty to choose from there but if I had to pick one author it would be John Gierach.

Strangely, a friend has asked me to recommend one for him to read in lockdown. I'm struggling to select just one, with so many good titles to choose from.

What would your recommendation be?

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

A season of trout fishing in the Galloways: A Fisher in the hills by Robin Ade. A wonderful little book.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16669&hilit=Robin+ade

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”