A Prospect Of Angling Bernard Venables

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Martin James
Eel

Post by Martin James »

A Prospect Of Angling is a book that will stand alongside half a dozen books including Still Water Angling
that have been published in past two centuries,. One word describes this tomb “Outstanding” Bernard known as Mr Crabtree, has captured the essence of our wonderful sport or pastime through his writings and paintings. Whereas Still Water Angling taught us how to capture the big fish that Bernard created in word and artform.

No one in my lifetime captured the peaceful and amazing pleasure that we anglers feel when we are at the waterside, even the waterside cattle were painted as lovely peaceful animals. It was on the banks of the River Medway, I first met pipe smoking Bernard wearing a gabardine Mackintosh a fashion in the 1950's, his pipe giving off a wonderful aroma, which certainly encouraged several of us to become pipe smokers. Bernard had come to release some tagged perch that the recently launched Angling Times were releasing into several waters countrywide. If you were lucky to catch one of these fish it could be worth £25-00 a huge sum in those days. I was lucky that day to shake the man’s hand also have my school book prize Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing signed, he was the complete gentleman.

In A Prospect Of Angling by Bernard Venables you will read some of the best Venables writing and capture the delights of his art work. The written word through this book, is from his many articles in the Angling Times, the book immediately takes you back to those wonderful atmospheric and learning days of the 1950’s. The first chapter is titled Splendid Uncertainty October 22nd 1954. The last chapter titled The Story of William Grant is from AT February 25th 1955. I wish to thank Wayne of Little Egret Press who worked with Eileen Venables and the family for giving us this wonderful tribute to Mr Crabtree - Bernard Venables MBE The book is now available from Little Egret Press. If your planning to purchase a book this, is the title to choose.

Book cover of A Prospect Of Angling - Bernard Venables

Bernard At The Crabtree Lake in Berkshire where we shared many happy days

Bernard and myself, during one of many lunch breaks at the waterside discussing the famous Crabtree Net which many of us own copies. One word describes this tomb “Outstanding”

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: A Prospect Of Angling Bernard Venables

Post by Tengisgol »

I was also lucky enough to meet Bernard at a party arranged to celebrate his birthday and I have here a collection of some of his fishing tackle, which are prized possessions. I also like 'The Angler's Companion' and 'A Stream of Life'. Fishing books take me off to the bank and another place. Bernard's books take me off to a place that is even better than that!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you for the endorsement Martin. My birthday came and went last month with new mitts, a new set of scales and a wonderful book on floats, which I am still reading. Nonetheless I have a lovely wife and if I refer her to your post it is as good as purchased.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Copy received. Quite a tomb.

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Just got my copy too. It is quite heavy and made my arms ache! I shall have to find another way to read it comfortably!
The content though is first class. Takes me back to my youth.
Dave@ Hastings

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I concur,
What a superb book. Like a lot of authors of that era I could hear Bernard reading it aloud to me, such is his distinctive voice and turn of phrase.
It waxes lyrical much of the time (which is very welcome in these grey times) but also the sentimentality of it shows that that the ethos of angling was exactly the same 60 years ago for Venables as it is today with us TFF members.
Highly recommended.
Russ

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”