Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Where the Bright Waters Meet by Harry Plunket Greene

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The outside edge of the page with the photo shows a bit of a curl where it was bound, someone has stuck it in upside down. Nevermind, it is an excellent read. My copy has a loose page, my fault I fear :-)

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Just for your information Wagtail, the first issue of the first edition is illustrated with a map on the rear end-paper. A later issue, that still only carried the 1924 date, has plain end-papers. The first issue seems more common in my experience.

Oh, and the copy in Badger's photograph is the Flyfisher's Classic Library edition.

Think I'm a book nerd :Scared:

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

Luke wrote:Just for your information Wagtail, the first issue of the first edition is illustrated with a map on the rear end-paper. A later issue, that still only carried the 1924 date, has plain end-papers. The first issue seems more common in my experience.

Oh, and the copy in Badger's photograph is the Flyfisher's Classic Library edition.

Apologies it is from the Classic Flyfishers Library not Medlar. My brain is addled. :doh:

Thank you Luke !
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Luke wrote:Just for your information Wagtail, the first issue of the first edition is illustrated with a map on the rear end-paper. A later issue, that still only carried the 1924 date, has plain end-papers. The first issue seems more common in my experience.

Thanks Luke, there is a map in the back as you describe. I'm not worried about rarity or value (although if it was worth a fortune I might have said differently!) - it is just nice to be custodian of an original copy
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I'll know what to look for in Oxfam now, cheers Luke :-)

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for quite some time now, will have to dust it off to whet my appetite for the forth coming trout season...
SofaSurfer wrote: I doubt that there are any truly wild trout south of the Scottish border.
I can assure you SS that there are plenty of truly wild trout here in Cumbria!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Born in the river is good enough for me, whatever the parentage :-)

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

SofaSurfer wrote:I'll know what to look for in Oxfam now, cheers Luke :-)
How about a first edition in a dust-wrapper? Now that's a real charity shop challenge :holmes:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Hmm, that would be a heart stopping find. I did find a 1st edition of BB s with dust jacket and signed for £10. I think I have used up all my good luck :-)

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

I'm off to the charity shop now, will report back with what's on offer !
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”