Pre 80s Carp fishing

This forum is for discussing carp.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Pre 80s Carp fishing

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Seeing this topic got me rummaging around for a photo of the period and I came up with this Carp taken one night-time session in June with a James MkIV, Mitchell 300 loaded with 8lb Maxima - free lined bread flake or luncheon meat. Wearing my lucky jumper which having caught a 21 1/4 lb Common Carp whilst wearing I continued with it for years until threadbare. It rests now in a drawer as it was not possible to throw it away.

The pool I was fishing at the time I recall appeared in BeeKays book which listed dozens of different Carp Waters - I still have that book somewhere and spent hours reading it.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Shaun Harrison wrote:George Sharman's Carp and the Carp Angler book is the most up to date and informative one you will get for pre hair rig days and give you a perfect insight to how it was when there were so few of us.
I got book on your recommendation and it is a fantastic read! Very good book for anyone interested in trad carp fishing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Best, Bobby

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

In fairness I think if anyone is interested in pre 80's carp fishing aswell as all carp history I'd advise in contacting our very own Mike Wilson on the forum as he's been involved with Rob maylin and has done numerous amounts of various publications over his life long angling career,

I met up with Mike for the first time earlier this year on the carp publication stand at this years Big one show at Farnborough, Hants and have to say that Mike is a very nice and highly informative gentleman :Hat:

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bobby Marlene wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:George Sharman's Carp and the Carp Angler book is the most up to date and informative one you will get for pre hair rig days and give you a perfect insight to how it was when there were so few of us.
I got book on your recommendation and it is a fantastic read! Very good book for anyone interested in trad carp fishing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Best, Bobby
I'll second that. :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Spent hours plodding through that book - years ago now! A very valuable source of information.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I just read the chapter on winter fishing (while sitting in the sun in the garden, this autumn is really nice) and it is so inspiring, I cannot wait until I can try it and sit at the frozen water. Really good book. Bobby

JAA

Post by JAA »

Olly wrote:Spent hours plodding through that book - years ago now! A very valuable source of information.
I always thought "Carp and the Carp Angler" unlucky to have been overshadowed by "Carp Fever" myself.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

At the time I bought anything "Carpy"! Had been piking and tenching and turned to carping.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

JAA wrote:
Olly wrote:Spent hours plodding through that book - years ago now! A very valuable source of information.
I always thought "Carp and the Carp Angler" unlucky to have been overshadowed by "Carp Fever" myself.
Yes, the books came out the same time, really, I think? I really like the Sharman chapter on Woldale - with a haunting thrown in for good measure! :Cool:
I can't imagine Maddocks experiencing anything spooky....

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Bobby Marlene wrote:
You're welcome. George is still around but not getting out quite so much now.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”