WHO ATE ALL THE PIES?

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Bob Brookes
Zander

WHO ATE ALL THE PIES?

Post by Bob Brookes »

I revisited a snaggy swim on a day ticket stretch of the Trent yesterday. It is a spot that is way off, or rather down, the beaten track so is not heavily fished. It is a swim that has a good track record for me, despite losing too many for my liking. Anyway, I had one of those feelings that was where I was going to fish. I even told my son where I was going and that I 'felt lucky'.

Just 15 minutes after casting in my rod tip went round positively, though not in typical barbel style. What ensued was a fight typical of a river bream. I would describe it as stodgy and I basically just cranked it in. As it came over the net I saw it and, sure enough, it was a bream. Then I looked closer and it was then I realised that it was actually a very obese barbel.

As I said previously there wasn't a fight to bring it in yet it was knackered and I had to rest it well before weighing. Then it needed a further breather before the quick photo, then another before release. This Billy Bunter of a barbel had more chins than a Hong Kong phone directory and was definitely out of condition. Perhaps the day ticket anglers have been using McDonalds quarter pounders for bait!

It weighed 11.07 but I think it weighed a lot more at some point due to the 'spare' skin. Sadly I didn't notice the spot on the camera lens that affected all the snaps. Still, you get the picture?
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Scott
Tench

Re: WHO ATE ALL THE PIES?

Post by Scott »

Cracking lump! Strange that it didn't put up much of a fight... :Confused: ...and was knackered afterwards... :Confused:
That spot on the lens looks like a droplet of the Trent, adds to the authenticity!
Thanks for showing us... :Hat:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Stunning barbel Bob :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Another great result Bob, hopefully it's still young and fit enough to get itself back into condition. Looks like a few may have hung onto the wrist of its tail in the past waiting for it to get its breath back. Some of these fish are getting on a little in years.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Bob.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Actually Bob this fish looks a bit like the one in your profile picture, were they caught close to each other?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Well done Bob, that's a big fish whichever way you look at it!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Tengisgol wrote:Well done Bob, that's a big fish whichever way you look at it!
They were caught over 20 miles and several weirs apart. No wonder it was knackered!
The profile picture (below) was of my personal best barbel at 15.02. It was a much longer fish although I don't measure my fish, just weigh them.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice one Bob, do you think it was overfed on boilies & pellets, and sick from the taste?
I do worry about some of these waters where anglers pile the bait in

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Pafpuff wrote:Nice one Bob, do you think it was overfed on boilies & pellets, and sick from the taste?
I do worry about some of these waters where anglers pile the bait in
I don't think so as it is not an area where vast amounts of bait goes in, being well off the beaten track. There are also far too many bream in that stretch. Someone told me that using a fish finder on a boat he found a shoal of bream 1/4 mile long. Now thats a lot of competition for food and some smelly nets!

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”