New record barbel

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Snape
Bailiff

New record barbel

Post by Snape »

So the Horse Gudgeon record has fallen at 21lb 2oz. Not sure where from but my guess is the Thames.
Crazy weight!

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: New record barbel

Post by Tonkin Wand »

He must have had his Weatabix that day.Well done sir.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Distinctive building/church over his right shoulder!!

Thommo
Bleak

Post by Thommo »

River Arun ive heard

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

High protein boilie monster, its somewhat unnatural to me, just like the carp....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm High protein boilie monster, its somewhat unnatural to me, just like the carp....

Thanks
BB
Have to say, I’m with you on that BB.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Hair rigged pork pie? :Hahaha:
Question is was it beaten by bamboo on a pin or the dark stuff and a food mixer.... does it count?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Olly wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm Distinctive building/church over his right shoulder!!
I did a bit of digging and searching and it took about 5 mins to figure out where the photo it taken from. I hope the poor thing doesn't get hammered. :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Snape wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:57 pm
Olly wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm Distinctive building/church over his right shoulder!!
I did a bit of digging and searching and it took about 5 mins to figure out where the photo it taken from. I hope the poor thing doesn't get hammered. :(
Sadly, it may well Snape. I recently gave up a membership that included a usually quiet stretch of a river near me because every time some numpty goes to the press with a decent Chub or Barbel, someone works out the location and dozens of clueless #!@*#* start turning up convinced a dustbin of groundbait and no craft will catch them one.

I’ve seen the same thing happen in Bass locations on the coast but at least the Barbel and Chub don’t end up dead.

It’s sadly reminiscent of much of the reason I first gave up coarse angling in the 1990s and only returned 10 years ago, partly inspired by traditional methods and tackle. It’s also the reason I never ever write anything about my Bass fishing.

I really hope that the poor Barbel doesn’t go the way of Carp. On the plus side, people like you on here have re-ignited my interest in seeking out lean and mean Carp again. The picture is never completely dark.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Hm,It could be a church near me......If it is, the stretch has been hard fished for quite a while. Luckily the river is not an easy one. So fair play to the captor!
In fact even if I am wrong about the venue it is still a brilliant catch.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”