New record barbel

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: New record barbel

Post by Snape »

DWW wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:08 pm Its from a Sussex river and the fishing on the river is not easy by any means . Well done that man !
I rather wish this information hadn't been released as along with information in the photograph the location can easily be found. :(
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

There again one could see foreign Nation State interference in this with "Bots" from eastern Europe spreading misinformation across Social Media to seek to influence our Traditional values .... here's another one then ...... just saying .... anyway ... was it from the River Euphrates Nigel ? Hat:

Barbel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Snape wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:59 pm
DWW wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:08 pm Its from a Sussex river and the fishing on the river is not easy by any means . Well done that man !
I rather wish this information hadn't been released as along with information in the photograph the location can easily be found. :(
If it is the stretch of river I think it is; there are few secrets.Club reports are already there for the viewing and some stretches are already pretty hard fished for the barbel. Which can be elusive due to their very nomadic behaviour. Apparently one chap found himself walking past a trail cam that he reckons was set-up by someone to monitor "rival" anglers on their way to certain swims. Known fish have been known to turn up a dozen miles away from their last capture .
Hats-off to anyone who can deal with the tides,rafts of debris and dead sheep on the line to catch a fish like this!
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

There was a swim on the River Dearne known as the 'Dead Horse Swim' for obvious reasons. It was there for weeks.

It is a shame that anglers will spend more time and effort trying to locate where successful anglers fish than actually searching for the fish themselves.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is rather like the difference between "Twitchers" and "Birdwatchers"!

A big fish gets a name and many want it on their 'tick list'. Rather like a twitcher - all time list - annual list- monthly list - local patch - etc. Many anglers/birdwatchers just go to enjoy their surroundings - and the birds & fish!

Once upon a time carp were given a name - then pike and now barbel and even chub.

As to fish movement - Identifiable carp in the Thames are one example moving both upstream through locks and downstream - via floods? Then caught many miles from another previous capture.
Last edited by Olly on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Olly wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:03 pm

As to fish movement - Identifiable carp in the Thames are one example moving both upstream through locks and downstream - via floods?
Then caught many miles from another previous capture.
Same with the Sussex barbel . They've even been known to change rivers!😁
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Kev D wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm

As to fish movement - Identifiable carp in the Thames are one example moving both upstream through locks and downstream - via floods?
Any chance of posting a couple over here? Double figure barbel are as rare as pork pies in these parts :Cry:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:48 pm
Kev D wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Any chance of posting a couple over here? Double figure barbel are as rare as pork pies in these parts :Cry:
I know where they live,I've seen them,I even hooked one once but a plan to send a brace to you ,fails with the assumption I can catch them!
Pork pies might be easier . Though I would be careful not to publicise which Co op branch they came from😉

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I make the assumption based on your having not one, but in true barbelist fashion two heavy duty matching rods, one of which has already accounted for the Arun record canoe capture (subject to verification). I know that you can do it especially as one carp angler told me; barbel are dead easy to catch.

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”