Baby Barbel!

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Baby Barbel!

Post by Coral Maestro »

This fish was caught from the River Vienne in France. I've seen bigger gudgeon!

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Baby Barbel!

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I thought I had the smallest barbel caught, it was about 8 inches and was from some commercial fishery nr Boston, I was after silver bream at the time....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That's wonderful! I had one about 8 inches long on the River Lee a few years ago, it was my first ever Barbel and, as they say, I'll never forget it. At the time, I was fishing a very light rod in a swim I know with some decent Gudgeon and it put up a hell of a fight! I had to look very carefully before convincing myself it was a baby Barbel and not a record smashing Gudgeon!! I found out a little later that a stocking of small Barbel had just taken place!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Always an encouraging sign seeing young Barbel - it’s not only the big ones we should be enthusing about - these ‘Baby’ Barbel are the future - let’s hope a lot more are reported here in the UK.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:08 am This fish was caught from the River Vienne in France. I've seen bigger gudgeon!

Did you ever fish the River Glane near to St. Junien? The river near to the bridge leading to the Corot site is full of young barbel of that size and the stretch down towards the confluence has shoals of them from around 9" up to this size.

The shoal of small ones is there every day, probably between 50 and 60 fish all feeding in about 6" of fast water over pebbles. I presume that this is the nursery area and as newly hatched ones arrive in late summer the older ones drop down the river alongside the allotments. The shoals come upstream hoovering up the sand bed and then turn and drift downstream about 30 yards before repeating the process over and over again.

I call it 'Fishing in Lilliput'.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Here is a very small Barbel that I hooked whilst float fishing just below some fast water at Bredwardine a couple of years ago .

Fin perfect.... I wonder how big it is now ?

Do you remember it Peter ?

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 pm
Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:08 am This fish was caught from the River Vienne in France. I've seen bigger gudgeon!

Did you ever fish the River Glane near to St. Junien? The river near to the bridge leading to the Corot site is full of young barbel of that size and the stretch down towards the confluence has shoals of them from around 9" up to this size.

The shoal of small ones is there every day, probably between 50 and 60 fish all feeding in about 6" of fast water over pebbles. I presume that this is the nursery area and as newly hatched ones arrive in late summer the older ones drop down the river alongside the allotments. The shoals come upstream hoovering up the sand bed and then turn and drift downstream about 30 yards before repeating the process over and over again.

I've never fished the Glane but I think maybe I should. So many waters to try and so little time!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Old Man River wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:40 pm Here is a very small Barbel that I hooked whilst float fishing just below some fast water at Bredwardine a couple of years ago .

Fin perfect.... I wonder how big it is now ?

Do you remember it Peter ?

OMR
How could I forget - it was one of the highlights of that afternoon a perfectly formed specimen - and as I have said earlier as important as the big chaps - which I also remember coming bankside.

:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:43 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:28 pm

I've never fished the Glane but I think maybe I should. So many waters to try and so little time!
I know what you mean. But if you want to do a species hunt or introduce kids to Mr Crabtree sort of fishing that is the place to go.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Great pics chaps :Thumb: :Hat:

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”