Rather wet on the Gt Ouse

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

Re: Rather wet on the Gt Ouse

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Tizer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:30 pm Well done that man ,If it was the stretch at Barford,barbel are pretty rare around there,slow and deep in normal conditions.
I haven't fished Gt Barford for about 20yrs, but I know it's pretty deep there. Had some nice bream and eels when I fished it.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Well done CC, well worth getting wet for.
A couple of years ago I went in in Feb up to my chest, rod in hand to get a snagged chub. What was odd was that when I had released it, it didn't fight and I was able to walk it back to the bank like a dog on a lead.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Snape wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:10 pm Well done CC, well worth getting wet for.
A couple of years ago I went in in Feb up to my chest, rod in hand to get a snagged chub. What was odd was that when I had released it, it didn't fight and I was able to walk it back to the bank like a dog on a lead.
Sorry Snape, I've only just seen your post! Was it a decent chub, now that's commitment! 😳👍😅
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Chevin Chaser wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:48 am
Sorry Snape, I've only just seen your post! Was it a decent chub, now that's commitment! 😳👍😅
A one year gap between comments! :Hahaha:
Yes it was a decent chub for there. Probably a low 4lb'er.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Snape wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 pm
Chevin Chaser wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:48 am
A one year gap between comments! :Hahaha:
Yes it was a decent chub for there. Probably a low 4lb'er.
Omg that's spooky! 😳

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear Vito

Lovely fish but take care with the Winter wading as no fish is worth the risk of drowning.....ever.

If things do go wrong remember that even though the water is freezing cold, always keep your mouth closed to avoid swallowing too much water, as this is the killer. Don't fight the flow either as this is just a waste of energy, go with the flow feet first and drift into the bank, hopefully with shallows and hand holds to drag yourself out.

This advice is given for the best reasons and not as an insult in any way to you but there are younger readers on this site and if it helps save one person then it is worth telling. Also it is what I do when faced with an unexpected dunking, so learnt by experience.

Keep up the catching as you really seem to have got the Ouse sussed.

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Moley wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm Dear Vito

Lovely fish but take care with the Winter wading as no fish is worth the risk of drowning.....ever.

If things do go wrong remember that even though the water is freezing cold, always keep your mouth closed to avoid swallowing too much water, as this is the killer. Don't fight the flow either as this is just a waste of energy, go with the flow feet first and drift into the bank, hopefully with shallows and hand holds to drag yourself out.

This advice is given for the best reasons and not as an insult in any way to you but there are younger readers on this site and if it helps save one person then it is worth telling. Also it is what I do when faced with an unexpected dunking, so learnt by experience.

As ever,...

Moley
The fish was caught in July Mr Mole! But still good advice for anyone taking a paddle in the colder months

Trev :Hat:

Chevin Chaser
Dace

Post by Chevin Chaser »

Moley wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm Dear Vito

As ever,...

Moley
Good morning Moley,

Thank you for your sensible advice, it is much appreciated. I can tell you I will never do that again for any fish that's for sure. It was in July and I know that area isn't a deep swim and full of gravel, but you just never know what's laying on the bottom. If I was on my own, it would never of happened. Over the years I have plummeted into rivers a few times to save people, once it was for a couple of colleagues who got into trouble, but that's work related and it comes naturally, and life over any fish or animal will always come first. 👍

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”