Roach on hemp

This forum is for discussing roach.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Roach on hemp

Post by Tengisgol »

One thought from me; elderberry make an excellent alternative bait that hooks perfectly. You can gather in season and preserve.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

As Moley and JAA have said, it IS possible to hook hemp through the shell, but you do need hooks with very strong points (thanks for the specific recommendations, Moley, I'll try some myself!) and you need to keep checking them, because hemp shells will blunt them in the end.
Cross-feeding with other baits has fans and detractors, but one complication (among many) is that if you try and feed mixed particles with throwing-stick or catapult, they'll separate out in the air - tares, for instance, fly further than hemp - so you can end up feeding two different lines without realising it. The longer the range, the more it matters; better to feed one then the other.
By the way, sliding floats make for a faster, quieter strike.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Inspired by this thread I went close range trotting for roach last night, using a mix of hemp and tares that I had prepared by boiling together. Needless to say that the roach responded with their usual vigour and I caught plenty. I tried both hemp and tares as hook bait, and found tares was far more successful, mainly because hemp didn't hold firm enough to survive more than one bite, whereas if I missed a bite with tares I had confidence to continue the trot. Also, the tares bites were more confident!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”