Just a very large roach!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Plot36
Roach

Re: Just a very large roach!

Post by Plot36 »

Shaun Harrison wrote:
Plot36 wrote:something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .
Andy is quite slim and it is 71lb!
71lb? Good grief - not sure I could lift 71lb let alone hold it at arms length! :)

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:The common that Andy Chambers is holding weighed over 71lb (can't remember the ounces) and is currently the largest known common in the Orient. Interesting how we are now seeing quite a lot of big commons cropping up with several larger than the one Andy is holding in different waters (and countries). I picked out the Orient fish as to me it looks like one hell of a fighter and carries such a massive frame.

:Hat:
I certainly do admit that it is a magnificent fish. At that weight I would say that he must be in the squat position with his elbows supported on his knees. It is one very big lump, but cameras always distort the image unless the fish is held close to the body. I would much prefer to see that sort of image, then it would really make more people look!
Ah - that makes sense - I was assuming he was standing up to his waist in the water. Doh :oops:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

JAA wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:
Plot36 wrote:something not quite right with that carp pic. Above the carp we what appears to be a very slim angler, whereas below the carp . . . . . . and look at the length of those arms . . .
Andy is quite slim and it is 71lb!
Mark wrote:Give me a ten pound wildie any day. :Wink:
Give me a double figure wildie to target or any wildie for that matter in my area. I was lucky enough to land one in 1984 although to be fair it looked like it was carrying spawn so not a true wildie. I also had a couple just under double figures but sadly the water was stocked with mirrors and the wildies fast disapeared. I went back after around 10 years caught a lot of carp but none of those originals.

The oldest carp I caught last year and one that probably had the longest history was I guess this one from Woldale. Not a wildie by any means but a very old looking fish indeed that has no doubt share the area with some very traditional anglers over the years.

It's a nice looking fish, but it looks look like a 'mostly carp', crucian hybrid or even a goldfish to me.
I must admit I thought that myself at the time but that really didn't matter to me. To be angling on such an important and historical water in the footsteps of Ingham, Walker, the Taylor brothers and so on, it wouldn't have mattered too much to me if if it had two tails. It was a massive honour to have been invited for the first trip and an even greater one when I had my second trip. The third invite I am very excited about.

The fish to me are unimportant when they live in a pool which plays such a massive part of our carp fishing heritage. The formation of the Carp Catchers Club, the Drop me a Line book might never have happened if it was not for this most beautiful place.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Shaun Harrison wrote: I must admit I thought that myself at the time but that really didn't matter to me. To be angling on such an important and historical water in the footsteps of Ingham, Walker, the Taylor brothers and so on, it wouldn't have mattered too much to me if if it had two tails. It was a massive honour to have been invited for the first trip and an even greater one when I had my second trip. The third invite I am very excited about.

The fish to me are unimportant when they live in a pool which plays such a massive part of our carp fishing heritage. The formation of the Carp Catchers Club, the Drop me a Line book might never have happened if it was not for this most beautiful place.
Now that is what it's all about for me, you lucky bugger Shaun. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

:Scared: Sorry that the roach thread has progressed into a knocking big carp thread then mellowed down with a lovely tranquil historic pool.
That is going to take some juggling by the moderators to direct it to the relevant section :Scared:

Perhaps a picture of a tiny roach from just before the snow a couple of weeks back during a nostalgic trip back to the stream where my childhood dream first started.

Well, there is roach in the title. :laugh:

Sorry about the quality.

Like I have said earlier I enjoy it all.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Not an issue with me at all. :Hat:

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

the roach photo is more interesting by far than the carp photo in my book.i'm sure the carp meant a lot to it's captor,but its just another photo of another giant carp to me.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice Roach and I love the Carp with Cardinal, though i think there's a bit of Cru of goldfish in it too.

I'm with Mark on the big carp, nice but not really my cup of Earl Grey.

Gaz

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

Not sure about that 'roach' given it has a rudd's eye and a chub's head. Looks very suspicious to me!

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Bigoll wrote:Not sure about that 'roach' given it has a rudd's eye and a chub's head. Looks very suspicious to me!
There is a possibility of some rudd in there although the lips say roach, but chub's head?

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”