Impossible?

This forum is for discussing roach.
Hovis
Tench

Impossible?

Post by Hovis »

I have caught 5 2lb roach by design (although I think one was a repeat capture) and wanted to try for something even more special now the weather is starting to turn. The problem is I don’t know anywhere that contains a 2.5lb or dare I say it 3lb roach, it’s worth noting that I am not interested in large pits fished by carp anglers but looking for running water. Does anybody know of a river that contains such a fish? I have a river (well an out flow from a large lake) near me that I often see large roach in but I can’t find out who owns the water, there are no signs up saying no fishing but I don’t want to just fish there for fear of getting shot!

Any help if such a place exists would be much appreciated. PM me if you want to keep details secret.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

MGs
Pike

Re: Impossible?

Post by MGs »

There have been reports in recent seasons of 3lb roach caught from the Itchen, Hampshire Avon and Test. My dad has even had one from the Thames.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Well I fish the Trent a lot and that must have its fair share in but its a case of getting through everything else.

The Avon and Test sound good though as I want to catch it on the stick float.

Izaak Walton

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

In my local ish areas down South, the Thames, Kennet, Loddon, H Avon, D Stour, Itchen, & Test with smaller 2's at least in the some of the other Thames tribs if you can find them. Location and hard work is everything.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

The Hampshire Avon at Britford, owned by the London Anglers Association regularly throws up big roach. It can be fished by non-members for £10 per day, tickets on the bank from Stuart the bailiff, who is a mine of info and will put you on the fish..... I'll be down there this Friday for the barbel........
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

RBTraditional wrote:The Hampshire Avon at Britford, owned by the London Anglers Association regularly throws up big roach. It can be fished by non-members for £10 per day, tickets on the bank from Stuart the bailiff, who is a mine of info and will put you on the fish..... I'll be down there this Friday for the barbel........
Good luck with the Barbel RBTraditional

Izaak Walton

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

JerryC wrote:In my local ish areas down South, the Thames, Kennet, Loddon, H Avon, D Stour, Itchen, & Test with smaller 2's at least in the some of the other Thames tribs if you can find them. Location and hard work is everything.

Jerry.....Shhhhhhhhhh....... they'll want sat nav co-ordinates next..

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

JerryC wrote:In my local ish areas down South, the Thames, Kennet, Loddon, H Avon, D Stour, Itchen, & Test with smaller 2's at least in the some of the other Thames tribs if you can find them. Location and hard work is everything.
Any chance of sat nav co-ordinates? :Chuckle:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Location and hard work I can do but dedicating enough time to the quest is another matter.

Izaak Walton

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

BH20 4LP or grid ref: SY 923 872 - mind the ducks!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”