Baits for BIG rudd

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Baits for BIG rudd

Post by Dave Burr »

Slumption wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 pm Yeh I really need to practice my photos a bit more...I would hope a few more big rudd come my way so maybe I'll get a better chance. For those of you in the Cambridge/Suffolk area the river it came from was the Lark, the Waterbeach section of the Cam is also renowned for big rudd.
I wasn't commenting on the photography Slumpton, I was just blown away by the fish and green with envy. Big rudd are every bit as thrilling as roach.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Yep it fought like a tench, I'm going to have another crack tomorrow.

Most of the guys I see after rudd fish 30mins either side of dark and use corn/bread fished with a waggler. 4ft hooklength to the hook (river is 13ft in places)....then just keep feeding and cast at the feed.

A lot of big rudd seem to fall to feeder / helicopter rigs so I wonder if over a certain size they start to feed more on the bottom? mine was taken just off the margin shelf on a leger. I was targeting tench and due to eels I was using an 8lb flurocarbon hook link and size 8, all my other rudd have been waggler on the drop. I'd welcome others advice on this as I certainly think I will target them more now.

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Had a wonderful evening session yesterday catching some beautiful Rudd on the surface with bread.They were attracted by some large slices of bread on the surface then I float fished next to the large slices of bread just 12 inches below the surface.
Best of the catch was a golden speciman of nearly 2lbs.
A lovely evening all round

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Dear All

If the water you are fishing contains carp you can't go wrong with 6mm hard pellets.

Waggler float of a size to get the distance. Mess about with the depth to your hearts content but try not to put too much shot down the line, so that the pellet on the hook sinks at the same rate as the free offers pinged in around the float.

6mm seems to persuade the bigger Rudd to have a go. But being bigger and wiser once you catch a few they will back off, usually further out so be prepared to put on a bigger float to get the distance. Ditto if the wind gets up.

Bites will come quick and fast,even before the float settles and be aware you will miss as many bites as you hit. One way is to go against standard advice of dotting the float but leave a good inch of the float proud of the plimsol line, to distinguish between enthusiastic dab type bites of small fish and a proper dip of the float to a proper bite.

Sometimes you must be prepared to move after the fish as big Rudd are nomadic often moving round the lake/pond on a whim. They follow the wind at times but very often don't.....observation should show which is which.

Resting the swim, by scoffing a few pies, swilling tea and singing some Frank Sinatra songs from the best album songs for Swinging Lovers or at a pinch My Way whilst still baiting with pellet too.....multi tasking, gives the shoal a chance to regroup. If not move swims.

Hopefully this gibber makes sense?

If not come back and attempt to get an answer from Fatty.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The biggest rudd I know of from my clublake was 3lb15oz! Some 3s were caught on whole lob float fishing. Some on cockles ledgering. Not so sure many left in the lake any more!

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”