Red and Gold

This forum is for discussing rudd.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Red and Gold

Post by Olly »

Spinners were recommended by Marshal-Hardy in his book 'Angling Ways'. Most fish are predatory at some time.

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Thanks for all responding so generously. I'm going to give this a go. I have the usual nymphs and dry flies, but also some tiny popper flies that were tied for black bass I think. I'll try twitching them across and just beneath the surface. Frensham Pond has some big Perch too, so you never know! Bob

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Duncan Charman seems to have had a few 2lbers - late winter Feb/March. I had some good ones - 1.5lb+ - from the Little Pond years ago.

What about the 'crust' or 'dog biscuit' flies?

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

Hoping to also wet a few lines on Frensham Great Pond come the new season. Waders are purchased, just need to stock up on an ample supply of hemp and corn. Can't wait for the magic 16th :cheers:

Blueavocet

Post by Blueavocet »

Olly wrote:Duncan Charman seems to have had a few 2lbers - late winter Feb/March. I had some good ones - 1.5lb+ - from the Little Pond years ago.

What about the 'crust' or 'dog biscuit' flies?
I have some of the bread crust 'patterns' and have certainly had some fun with the chub on those, so yes, a hatch of bread might have to be considered too! :Hahaha:

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

Not a monster but my biggest so far. About 9 inches long.
PB rudd (360x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

What does size matter with such beautiful colours !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Hexapin,

If the multitude of Rudd in my local pond or the ones in the Epping Forest Ponds where always that size I doubt I'd go anywhere else.

There are huge Rudd in the lake in St James Park in London, sadly no fishing though.

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Watermole+ wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 pm For those not familiar with the geography of South Devon, there is a large area to the east named 'Start bay' and one of the places there is called Torcross; a gently curved, steeply sloping beach of graduated shingle.
The road follows the shoreline closely from Torcross to Slapton village, a mile or so up the coast and amazingly, immediately on the opposite side of the road is a long freshwater lagoon called Slapton Ley. This is a designated nature reserve now, with no waterside access because of the extensive reedy margins, except by boat from the Lodge at Slapton. The Ley contains numerous large pike to 30lbs. probably much bigger if the truth were known, but also it is noted for its large rudd. I have fished here in the past for both species and seen pike of 20+ caught on legered herring deadbait (which for some reason, works better than floated baits) but the best way of catching rudd is with the fly rod. Most specimen hunters use flake to attract a shoal, then fish fly on the edge of them, where the better ones are found. They do not seem fussy as to what fly you use, but weighted nymphs seem to catch consistently.. Fish of 2-3lbs are regularly taken and there are certainly far greater ones there.

My late aunt used to have two fishing cottages at Torcross, near 'The Start Bay Inn' and I remember holidaying there as a boy and going bass and black bream fishing. During the War, the whole village was forcibly evacuated and taken over by the American forces, where it was used for 'Excercise Tiger', a dreadfully ill-fated rehearsal for the 'D-Day' landings of 6th June 1944. During the practice, much live ammunition was fired from ship to shore, many of the shells landing in the lake and it was said that many fish, including rudd of record breaking proportions were found dead afterwards, though I cannot substantiate this, but have heard that the Ley was never the same afterwards.
When the war ended and we were allowed to return to the cottage, the Americans had left it in a terrible state with much graffiti on the walls; but we let that remain as a reminder of their sacrifice later on 'Omaha' beach in Normandy. We used to sneak through the reeds and fish (quite illegally!) for pike with a spinning rod. My late uncle was a driver for The Western National Omnibus Co. and would carry a rod in his cab for when he was on the Torcross run. (There was a time-point there and sometimes the 'bus would have to wait for an hour or more before the return trip). Once, he caught a 10 pounder, wrapped it in paper and took it home in the driver's cab!! (Remember that food was still on ration then).

Have not been back there for some time now but as far as I know, you can still get fishing day tickets for about £5, plus extra for boat, from The Lodge at Slapton, but they are very strictly controlled and limited so advance booking and arrangements for oar collection is essential.

Hope this is of some interest..

With usual regards,

wm+
Watermole+ I have found a reference to this water from a book dated 1875:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I don't know if they are rare or just extremely difficult to catch.conditions have to be right and even then,they might only feed for a short time and only in a certain part of a lake that suits them.a dozen big Rudd in a large lake would be like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack and if they only feed for half an hour,what's the chances of being at the right place at the right time.
They feed on midge larvae and emerging water flies so a tight corner of a lake with a gentle warm breeze blowing into it is an area well worth investigating,especially on a humid evening when there's plenty of fly life.
Even if all these factors fall into place and a group of big Rudd appear in the swim,they can be notoriously picky when it comes to the speed at which the hookbait falls through the water and unless luck is on ones side,they may not hang around long enough for one to find out what they want,considering they are one of the spookiest of fish.
They do get caught all the same and stalking the water for one evening during the right conditions is better than stalking the water 10 times in the wrong conditions.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)”