A new PB

This forum is for discussing chub.
Chevin Chaser
Dace

A new PB

Post by Chevin Chaser »

A new PB, this one smashed my last. Very recently I had two over six pounds, which included a recent PB of 6lb 6oz only last week, I did not expect to beat it so soon.
When I arrived at the Gt Ouse and looked at the state of the river I said to myself 'What the hell are you doing here' OXO colour, up and raging through at some knotts. I was waiting to see Augustus Gloop float past!

With my Chapmans 500 in hand, I had to make the most of it so I searched out for any slacks I could find. At the first swim, I tucked my bait in between two large hawthorn bushes allowing the flow to bounce it into position. Whilst having a cuppa, I saw my rod tip twitch a couple of times then the line went slack. A half arsed strike was given, thinking it may or may not have been debris. My cane rod went into a huge hoop and I could feel a good fish was on. Keeping the rod low, allowing the rod to absorb its powerful headbangs and lunges. I tried to steer it away from the other bush to my left, but this fish was hugging the bottom, bucking like a stubborn mule, and trying every trick in the book that a chub can throw at you to evade capture.
I persevered and eventually a small swirl above the water appeared showing my lead weight, then I got my first glimpse of her. Those huge rubbery lips staring back at me. My heart was in my mouth because I knew this was going to be another new PB. Landing net was ready, as she gave a couple more last attempt lunges. She finally gave in, a great scrap right up to the net.

7lb 3oz
IMG_20191213_151806_871.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chevin Chaser on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
It is important to be aware that every fishing story...depends on the honesty of those telling it, the accuracy of their memory and the realibility of their interpretation of the circumstances.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: A new PB

Post by Mole-Patrol »

:clap: Excellent!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Cracking looking fish - excellent weight + a PB! What more can you ask for!!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

What an excellent catch. A lovely looking fish too
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Well done with your new PB, it is a lovely looking specimen too. :clap: :Hat: :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

That is a stunning fish, and it looks in immaculate condition.
My best chub looked like a real warhorse when I looked at it, I think it had been winding the local pike up.

Anyway, very well done.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Ouse Wanderer
Bleak

Post by Ouse Wanderer »

That's one stonking chub and seemingly in excellent condition. Congratulations.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely fish. Well done!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What a chub! Well done :Thumb:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

That is going to be very hard to beat - what a fish to secure a pb absolutely stunning. Very well done indeed.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”