Marshmallows

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Duckett
Tench

Marshmallows

Post by Duckett »

Does anyone else use these as floating bait? They don't work everywhere in my experience but I've been using them for a few years with some success for Carp and Rudd.

I was in Sainsbury's early this morning and spotted bags of huge ones, so I stocked up for the summer. I like to tear them roughly and expose the inside of the marshmallow for hooking, so XXXL makes a lot of sense. They can get a bit sticky on a hot day, but it's better than chopped worm!

Anyway, this set me thinking about how "traditional" marshmallow is as bait. I copied the idea from an angler I met (who also introduced me to frozen peas) but I've only seen marshmallow referred to in fishing discussions in recent years.

A quick bit of research courtesy of Wiki tells me that marshmallows date back to at least 2000 BC when the Egyptians ate them. Surely, someone popped one on a hook between then and this century?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Marshmallows

Post by Liphook »

I've had success on them as surface baits but nothing compares to the 'bread pastie' made with Warburton's Toastie over the edge of lillies :dance2:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Liphook wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:29 pm I've had success on them as surface baits but nothing compares to the 'bread pastie' made with Warburton's Toastie over the edge of lillies :dance2:
Does anything compare to Warburton's Toastie? :Chuckle:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Yes, the small ones. I've also had some good success when using as a hook bait, when legering. I've found there even better, if flavoured with garlic...

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

No chance that'd get one on a hook – I'd eat them all myself. I really ought to persevere with them.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Michael wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:23 pm Yes, the small ones. I've also had some good success when using as a hook bait, when legering. I've found there even better, if flavoured with garlic...
Thanks for the suggestion, I may give that a go. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Beresford wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:30 pm No chance that'd get one on a hook – I'd eat them all myself. I really ought to persevere with them.
I know the problem but with me it's prawns! 1 for the fish, 5 for me …… where did all my bait go! :Confused:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I used Opal fruits once, didn't catch anything :-)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

:Chuckle: Some baits are just too good for the fish..

Wal.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I used the small ones once,caught a couple of carp off the top on them. So yes they worked but not as good as bread by a long way.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”