Weirdest baits?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Weirdest baits?

Post by Pallenpool »

Chocolate buttons - glued to shank of hook. The only problem with this was me - very difficult to resist.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So you were hooked ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Line and sinker............
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Caneforme
Perch

Post by Caneforme »

My Dad used to catch a lot of Chub trotting down the river with bits of silver paper from cigarettes' packets on the hook!

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Duckett wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm In a book I have somewhere there is a tale of late 18th century London anglers using human fat as bait. The source was claimed as the corpses of executed felons once they had been dissected by surgeons. Sadly, the tale isn’t referenced and the cynic in me says it’s made up. However, given some of the referenced things I’ve read about 18th Century London, I have an uncomfortable feeling ............
It's rumoured that Jack the Ripper liked to wet a line.No prizes for what he used as bait! :fishing1:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

A fag butt to catch a Portugese Mullet.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Grumpy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Duckett wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:17 pm In a book I have somewhere there is a tale of late 18th century London anglers using human fat as bait. The source was claimed as the corpses of executed felons once they had been dissected by surgeons. Sadly, the tale isn’t referenced and the cynic in me says it’s made up. However, given some of the referenced things I’ve read about 18th Century London, I have an uncomfortable feeling ............
It's rumoured that Jack the Ripper liked to wet a line.No prizes for what he used as bait! :fishing1:
Yikes! :Scared:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Caneforme wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:26 pm My Dad used to catch a lot of Chub trotting down the river with bits of silver paper from cigarettes' packets on the hook!

John :)
I have a sneaking suspicion that, for a very long time, we in the U.K. almost forgot that you can catch Chub on lures. I’ve had far more Chub on small plugs and soft plastics than I’ve ever caught by other methods.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great fun catching chub on small plugs. They hit them very hard so there's no mistaking them, and you have to hold the rod against little extra.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Santiago wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:35 pm Great fun catching chub on small plugs. They hit them very hard so there's no mistaking them, and you have to hold the rod against little extra.
Agreed. I’d love to see film of a Chub taking a lure as they don’t feel like any other fish I’ve caught lure fishing in fresh or salt, the closest being Wrasse I think. I’ve managed to see takes by Perch, Pike, Bass, Gar, Mackerel, Coley, Pollock, and even Wrasse (back in the 1970s on the rocky reef along the inside of Holyhead breakwater) but never a Chub.

Phil

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”