Collecting worms the easy way!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Collecting worms the easy way!

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I get thousands of those little red worms and also brandlings when I bring a trailer load of horse muck for the garden. Over the last few years though I have developed a preference for lobs as they tend to stay on the hook better and last a lot longer when small fish are about.

I don't use the nocturnal lawn stalking method any more. If I need to top up the bait bucket I'll dig or scrape mud in wet, shady areas where they can often be found just an inch or so under the surface and not anchored in like they are in turf. If however I need a worm or two when I haven't taken any fishing, the probing method always works if there are any worms about.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:43 pm I get thousands of those little red worms and also brandlings when I bring a trailer load of horse muck for the garden. Over the last few years though I have developed a preference for lobs as they tend to stay on the hook better and last a lot longer when small fish are about.

I don't use the nocturnal lawn stalking method any more. If I need to top up the bait bucket I'll dig or scrape mud in wet, shady areas where they can often be found just an inch or so under the surface and not anchored in like they are in turf. If however I need a worm or two when I haven't taken any fishing, the probing method always works if there are any worms about.
I have a suspicion that the soil/local geology (boulder clay over granite/contact metamorphics) is not to the worms liking here. Even when I'm digging in the veg garden during the wet season I don't find as many worms as I would expect.
My girlfriend keeps 2 horses and we've not noticed many worms in the manure even though it's been allowed to rot down for a couple of years outside on top of soil.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

You may well be right in that case. If you want some to start a wormery let me know and I will select you a breeding pair from the next batch of manure :Hahaha:

Seriously, if you want to worms I could find you a stock to get on with. Just let me know.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”