Slugs....

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Slugs....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Hi, I'm going to try slugs on the Ribble tomorrow as I believe the chub love them, so, has anyone any tips on fishing with slugs, ie: how to hook the slugs, etc....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Slugs....

Post by Dave Burr »

Just stick a hook through them as you see fit, the chub engulf them and are never finicky. I have cast freeline slugs out and felt nothing but on retrieve the slug has been hammered and is pretty much an empty skin so, I suggest some lead and feel for very quick bites.

And don't bite your nails whilst fishing :Sarcasm:

Enjoy.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Charlie Landells used to breed them in an aquarium - the slug-chub expert. A sad loss to chub fishing when he passed.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Hold the rod at all times the takes can be ferocious!

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I use a a pair of sugar tongs to hold the slugs then slide onto a size 6 hook. i have found it best to use no weight but cast well upstream and freeline he bait into place. It can be a bit hit or miss but agree with the comment hold the rod. If you get lucky the take is insane
Bumble

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dick Walker designed some special pliers to pick them up with sandpaper on the pincers. Horrible things but the chub love them. Plenty of casting weight to fish freelined.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Thanks for the advice, I will hold the rod at all times.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Very interested to see the results of this BB.

I have tried nice big black slugs , only once on the Ribble, with a resounding defeat. However, I have to say my heart was not in it, I detest slugs only slightly less than lycra louts, and found the whole issue of handling and hooking slimy black or brown terrestrial gastropods something I would be comfortable to live without for the rest of my life.The Ribble has some stonking Chub, hopefully you will have a good day with these shell less Snails.

Best of luck in your experiment , please let us know the results.

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Old Man River wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 pm Very interested to see the results of this BB.

I have tried nice big black slugs , only once on the Ribble, with a resounding defeat. However, I have to say my heart was not in it, I detest slugs only slightly less than lycra louts, and found the whole issue of handling and hooking slimy black or brown terrestrial gastropods something I would be comfortable to live without for the rest of my life.The Ribble has some stonking Chub, hopefully you will have a good day with these shell less Snails.

Best of luck in your experiment , please let us know the results.

OMR.
Interesting comment OMR as I've never had any joy with them on the Wye despite the banks being 6" deep with the slimy monsters in the evening. Yet on a slower river they are instant and deadly. I even had one 'dapping' the surface with a slug once.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Olly wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:32 pm Charlie Landells used to breed them in an aquarium - the slug-chub expert. A sad loss to chub fishing when he passed.
Charles was a friend and often used to tell tall tales about his slugging days on the Lea, the LAA waters, where he learned his craft, and latterly the Hants Avon; usually over a pint or three :Wink:

Several glass aquariums were used for his slug farming project with the slimey stock, graded for size. The bigger the better according to Landells Philosophy. We used to joke that his slugs used to grab hold of the chub and wrestle them in for him....probably not that far from the truth!

The tackle used was to the KISS principle and consisted of rod, often of dubious parentage, fixed spool loaded with strong line and very large hook. The skill was presenting the heavyweight slug into a variety of likely looking chub lairs and hanging on for grim death on the slam down take.....not for the faint hearted :Hat:

The Landells was a true eccentric and slug fishing suited his nature....I miss the Old Rogue.

One tip picked up from the Master was never, ever mix Black slugs with Orange or Grey varieties as the resulting carnage can be truly stomach churning.....forewarned is forearmed!

Also before signing off a personal anecdote about the effectiveness of Slugging for Chub. The Fat Mole, in between eating pies, slurping tea and roundly abusing the Ancient Mariner decided that slugging would catch some of the bigger chub in the local Blackwater......what an understatement. Several dropped the proverbial and angrily came to visit but one was so eager to meet the Mole it took the slug mid-air, rising like a Salmon at a weir.

Unbelievable and sounding like a Landells tall tale but true.....honest! :Hahaha:

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”