Steak as bait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Steak as bait

Post by Barbelseeker »

It has been fished with much success on the Trent. Many matches were won, by a gentleman, called Brian Newton (RIP), who was generally thought to have initiated and perfected the method in the 80's on the Trent from Burton Joyce to Newark. However with the decline and disappearance of the Chub in the Trent, so this method of fishing has declined.

The method was to get 1lb- 2lb of finely minced beef steak - unfortunately the bloodier and less fat the better. The less fat, because fat floats. Steak would be a 2" square by 1/2" thick.

Fishing method consisted moulding a golf ball size of mince, carefully lobbing it into the chosen float line (I always fished float) and then following it down, with a sliver of steak - perhaps 1.5" long by 1/16" thick and 1/4" wide on the hook. Catches of 20-30 chub were commonplace - averaging about 2lb - 4lb. The last time I tried it was in Newark Dyke, trotting with a Millwards Floatrover, some 4 years ago. From memory I caught about 6, but it was hard going. However, it would seem that a few more chub are being caught, so perhaps worth a try by someone. Hope that you do well with it.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: Steak as bait

Post by TrentFisher »

Barbelseeker wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:23 am It has been fished with much success on the Trent. Many matches were won, by a gentleman, called Brian Newton (RIP), who was generally thought to have initiated and perfected the method in the 80's on the Trent from Burton Joyce to Newark. However with the decline and disappearance of the Chub in the Trent, so this method of fishing has declined.

The method was to get 1lb- 2lb of finely minced beef steak - unfortunately the bloodier and less fat the better. The less fat, because fat floats. Steak would be a 2" square by 1/2" thick.

Fishing method consisted moulding a golf ball size of mince, carefully lobbing it into the chosen float line (I always fished float) and then following it down, with a sliver of steak - perhaps 1.5" long by 1/16" thick and 1/4" wide on the hook. Catches of 20-30 chub were commonplace - averaging about 2lb - 4lb. The last time I tried it was in Newark Dyke, trotting with a Millwards Floatrover, some 4 years ago. From memory I caught about 6, but it was hard going. However, it would seem that a few more chub are being caught, so perhaps worth a try by someone. Hope that you do well with it.
Interesting point Barbelseeker regarding the decline of chub on the Trent.
I have a seen a spark of hope this season whilst chasing roach on my local stretch,I have caught a number of chubletts and some fish in the eight ounce to the pound plus bracket.
I will be out during the rest of the season seeing if a return is on the cards.The barbel boys have had one or two fish four pound and over,so there is a chance.......here's hoping.

All the best.
Nige.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”