Maggot bans

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Maggot bans

Post by Dave Burr »

Duckett wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 pm Back in the 1970s I seem to recall wasp grubs being banned in a lot of rivers and still waters in the north west. I’ve never considered myself crazy enough to collect them but then I never found out why they were banned either.

As an aside, my grandfather, who worked as a local authority gardener and green keeper and also kept an allotment, had no truck with destroying wasps nests. I recall as a nipper that his potting shed had a perfectly formed nest most years and that he was never stung and neither were my brother and I. We seemed to respect each other’s space and movement.
Wasp grubs like 'jokers' (bloodworm) have been banned on match circuits due to their success. As happens, when someone starts winning a lot, others bitch and moan about it not being a level field, the result is a bait or method ban. I recall, a few years ago, a chap concocting his own 'special bait', described as a paste that almost pours off the hook. He claimed it was made from supermarket ingredients and had a winning streak. Because he wouldn't hand over the recipe, it was banned. I suppose this is why so many match lakes are full of pegs of equal depth and width. Soulless, dreadful places, full of hungry fish just waiting to be caught yet again.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Maggot bans

Post by Duckett »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:56 pm
Duckett wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:28 pm Back in the 1970s I seem to recall wasp grubs being banned in a lot of rivers and still waters in the north west. I’ve never considered myself crazy enough to collect them but then I never found out why they were banned either.

As an aside, my grandfather, who worked as a local authority gardener and green keeper and also kept an allotment, had no truck with destroying wasps nests. I recall as a nipper that his potting shed had a perfectly formed nest most years and that he was never stung and neither were my brother and I. We seemed to respect each other’s space and movement.
Wasp grubs like 'jokers' (bloodworm) have been banned on match circuits due to their success. As happens, when someone starts winning a lot, others bitch and moan about it not being a level field, the result is a bait or method ban. I recall, a few years ago, a chap concocting his own 'special bait', described as a paste that almost pours off the hook. He claimed it was made from supermarket ingredients and had a winning streak. Because he wouldn't hand over the recipe, it was banned. I suppose this is why so many match lakes are full of pegs of equal depth and width. Soulless, dreadful places, full of hungry fish just waiting to be caught yet again.
Interesting Dave. I gave up match fishing just after I finished my degree studies. I just didn’t find it appealing once my teenage competitive streak wore away. Many things I’ve seen since tell me that I made the right decision, including what you describe.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”