Ban for worms on the Wye?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Tench

Ban for worms on the Wye?

Post by Troydog »

As a member of the Local Fishery Group for the Wye, I meet with fishery owners, anglers, Natural Resources Wales, Environment Agency people and a variety of salmon orientated organisations.
Last weeks meeting proposed some changes to bylaws in order to improve the lot for salmon. As recorder for H&DAA the salmon return on club water this last year is zero.
Members of LFG have all been asked to state whether they agree or disagree to:
Banning worm fishing on the Wye, regardless of species sought.
Well what do you think gentlemen?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Ban for worms on the Wye?

Post by Snape »

To what ends?
I fish the Wye occasionally and lob worms are a favourite bait for chub, barbel and perch and as such I would be very disappointed it that ruling was brought in.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

What are they hoping to achieve banning the worm Tim?

If the catch return was zero, they cannot be trying to say too many are being caught on the worm surely?

You are an avid worm user, what is your opinion?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My first question would be, how on earth would banning worm “improve the lot of salmon”? It seems to me that the huge problems faced by salmon and, in a wider context, all our river life, have precious little to do with the choice of bait of anglers.

My final question to any proposer would be, what’s the science behind that proposal?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

There are some twenty members of the LFG. Three have already said they agree with the proposal, I have disagreed, the rest have yet to vote. As I said in my submission to the Chair, salmon face enormous diverse problems, irrespective of the worm. Coarse anglers massively outnumber game anglers (H&DAA 800 coarse rods, 25 game rods), so any attempt to ban the worm is wholly disproportionate.
Some members of the committee think that poachers say they are fishing for barbel, when they are really after the salmon.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What next rubber hooks? This make no sense to my mind

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Latest figures of Salmon catches:-
www.gov.uk/government/publications/salm ... ch-returns
Table 13 – Salmon rod catches 2019: - River Wye Caught - 243: Returned - 242 = 100%
It also has details of netted salmon!

Many rivers and or owners ban using lobs but the above shows just how few salmon are caught!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

If only it was the case that banning worms on the hook would bring back waves of salmon.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Worming and Spinning are regarded by some in the Salmon fishing fraternity as the lowest of the low and must therefore be to blame for the lack of Salmon in the Wye.....nothing to do with the fact the Danes are fishing for them at sea, having discovered the breeding grounds, just off Greenland. Or the over exploitation by Estuary nets in the past or the pollution from commercial Salmon Farming, or the pollution in the seas in general, no, no, no it's all the fault of wormers and poachers.

Bring back hanging for these low lifes.

Worryingly having been the Secretary for the Salmon and Trout Conservation, Surrey Branch for a very long time until leaving through ill health, this 19th century attitude still exists amongst a very small but vocal minority of landowners.

Surely poaching should be encouraged if it is just some old reprobate slinging a worm in the river on the off chance a passing Salmon will commit suicide on his hook. At least it will show some are still running the river.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

What utter tosh from the salmon fraternity. They harp on about the salmon not eating in fresh water but want to ban a bait?! There is, amongst the salmon lot, an oversized fear of poachers and they use draconian measures to protect their precious fish such as the ban on shad fishing as poachers were hiding behind the shadding excuse in the close season and, there's no need for a rod licence to shad fish. It was another sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

How many salmon have you hooked on worms Tim? I've never had one but, on the Wylye I've hooked a kelt on maggot and I know of a salmon picking up a boilie on the Wye.

Maybe this group should care more about the poaching of coarse fish too.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”