Out of Africa..

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Watermole+
Chub

Out of Africa..

Post by Watermole+ »

Whilst having a bit of a garage clear out, I came across some pieces of African ebony artefacts which had been kindly given to me by Richard C and some blocks of padauk, ( a red /orange/ yellow hardwood, also from that continent) donated by Crucian before emigrating..

Together with some oddments of antler horn, well-burnt scrap ends of Tonkin cane used normally for net handles and a worn-out brass ferrule from an ancient sea fishing rod, we managed to put together a couple of bank sticks.

The block of padauk was firstly quartered by sawing up lengthways and then initially turned in the lathe to about 3/4" diameter before being flamed to make it darker in colour. The bands hiding the joints were sections cut from the old ferrule and the tips made from 7/16" diameter brass, spigot fitted and pinned through for security.

The ebony is part of an African war club. I shortened it considerably by cutting the ends off and turning them to match the padauk ground spikes.
I think that the carving is of a Nile perch and all of it was done entirely by a hand unknown -and just crying out to be included!
The antler pieces unfortunately had some bad nail holes in them which split the horn, but some brisk work shaping up with the rasp and sandpaper soon made them acceptable to look at.

These are the first bank sticks that I have made for myself in about 30 years!

Something a bit different anyway..!

The finish is oil polished, not varnish.

Regards to all :Hat:

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Out of Africa..

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Beautiful Mr mole, very classy. You mentioned the other day about oiling my landing net handle, about how many coats of oil would you say?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Absolutely superb and unique, I am so pleased that you made something for your own use! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Superb work as usual :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

There're lovely - very antique and pagan looking. :Thumb:

Dom. :Hat:
_

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Now there are very nice indeed. Quality as always.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Lovely, and seems a shame to use them, but as with most of my bits and bobs, users , not just for show..having said that they would not look out of place on the Antiques Road show...

Quick question WM, was the war club an original, or a replica from a tourist shop ?

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I absolutely love them - totally unique - what a fabulous job indeed.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:25 pm ...You mentioned the other day about oiling my landing net handle, about how many coats of oil would you say?

Thanks
BB
Many thanks for all your appreciative words everyone..

BB:- Using linseed oil to finish wood takes far longer to achieve than varnishing, so you will need patience. However, in my opinion, the result is not only attractive and silky smooth, but far more durable, fully waterproof and can easily be refreshed. In fact, the more often that you do it, the better it will get. I gave up using varnish for net handles long ago and would never go back to it. Thick, glossy varnish is certainly very pretty and a quick fix, but oil is infinitely more practical and as 'Old Man River' says, fishing tackle is for using, not just for looking at.

To give you some idea, my wading staff was made from a length of Tonkin which I rejected as unsuitable for net handles as it had a couple of splits and some insect damage at the nodes. I made it into a staff without even bothering to straighten it, just heat treated and oil polished. It is now an essential for me when fishing and the lower part spends most of its time submerged, when not assisting walking through wet or muddy ground. To date, there is no sign of any further deterioration and it is as sound as it was when first made so please judge for yourself..

The quickest and easiest oil to use is 'Danish Oil' as it sets quite quickly in warmer weather or done indoors. Give the cane a really good rub down first with sandpaper or a rubbing block to remove the shine from the enamel-which is essential. If you wish to heat treat with a blowlamp or flame decorate, do it at this stage. After heat treatment lightly rub down again to remove surface carbon then rub in the oil vigorously with a rag-brushes are no good for this. After a while, the surface will go a bit tacky so repeat the rubbing in process again and set aside to dry. After a few hours, lightly rub down and do it again. You will need to do this at least three or four times, preferably more but it will be worth it.

The process for linseed oil is much the same, but it will take at least a couple of days between applications to key in and so will take far longer. Polishing in is hard, laborious work and I will not minimise this. Wear old gloves and an overall to stop it ingraining into your hands. The best way is to give it one good going over then set aside for a week and get on with something else, so possibly a close season job..
It also takes a very long time to dry out...an absolute minimum of about six weeks. When I redress a silk line, it usually takes about 12 weeks.
After a few months, the surface will go quite hard and if you give it another rubbing, the shine will be unbelievable! Repeat annually and it will get even better.

OMR:- I cannot say whether the African war club was made for use or for tourist shops and wall decoration, though personally, I am inclined to believe the latter. One thing is for sure; the ebony is heavy and dense enough at the removed business end to inflict very serious damage if you did use it against someone, but that will never happen now. It is not an easy wood to hand carve and the fish must have taken a good while to cut out so someone's patience will live on..

Thank you again for your kind words.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

A fine looking pair of sticks Leszek. Lovely to see the carved African stick being upcycled.
I knew it would be worth salvaging all those years ago and was bound to be of some use to you.
Being a woodcarver myself I can appreciate the skill and patience required to carve ebony using primative tools.
Very nice work my friend. :clap:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”