Alternatives to split shot

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Alternatives to split shot

Post by Tengisgol »

Possibly a sign of my increasing age but I got particularly grumpy at the cost of AAA and SSG shot a few months ago so decided to think of an alternative. They’re not even very good, at least not what I want to use them for (bulk shot on heavy floats). They pinch and damage the line and then when you pinch them over some thin tubing they fall off every few casts.

I tried some masonry nails ‘a la’ Mark Everard but they were buggers to cut to lengths and then couldn’t easily be filed smooth.

Looking in B&Q I came across metre lengths of 4mm metal rod for about £4 or £5 a length; both brass and what I assume is steel. Cut to various lengths, easily smoothed of with some emery paper, I have been delighted with the outcome. I hold them in with valve tubing.

A little bit of effort but saved a fortune and far more effective.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Alternatives to split shot

Post by Old Man River »

Thats a very similar idea to one I have been using for the past twelve months or so, like you I really dont like split shot, I am always afraid it will damage the line, I did think of using Olivettes, but as they only seem to do line through, I decided that I would make my own, well, sort of.

I use cut lengths of solder, which I cover in black shrink tube to dull the colour down, and fix them on the line using the green Carp tail rubbers, just like your idea, they can be altered to suit the size of weight needed, and slide up and down to wherever the weight is needed, the taper of the tail rubbers make it easy to pull out of weedy areas.

I tie on a small swivel on the end of the mailine, and attache the trace to it, or I suppose you could go the loop to loop method if you preferred.

I cut various lengths of solder, shrink tube them and take a few with me, I can always find a length that suits the float, or indeed just cut one down a little using scissors if the weight overshots the float a little.If you change the float, then its easy to change the weight without damaging the line.

I have found that the spools of solder are usually to be found at car boot sales, sometimes for pence, The green tail rubbers are cheap as chips on a certain auction site .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

I was fotunate to have some ground stainless steels pins, (rejects) used for timing chains of various cars. Differing diameters and lengths. I'll see if I can have another couple of handfuls when I get home. If so I will make up some goody bags. Will not know for about 4 weeks.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes, this idea is far more line friendly than split shot.
Brazing rod and stainless steel welding rod are perfect for making these and easy to cut with wire cutters and the ends dressed up on a sanding disc, I use various lengths of 2mm and 2.5mm diameter rod depending on the float size.
Most of my waggler floats have one already attached ready for use so the float can be almost self cocking or requiring a small blob of tungsten putty down the line to set it perfectly.
Longer lengths of the heavier gauge make good snag free ledger weights too.

Wal.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Great idea by Dr Mark in the first place and some improvements on the theme here. Considering I tend to bulk my shot reckon I'll be following suit.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Drennan Polemaster Olivettes - either in-line or rubber attached sliding variety!

Drawback - not cheap --- but very easy to use with an interchangeable option available.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I sometimes use plasticene.... a small holding shot or sliding float stop with the bulk of plasticene around it...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I use that when ledgering.

Still have those "spring type" shot from years back - never used!

Cray Stalker
Ruffe

Post by Cray Stalker »

Quite interesting you've brought this idea up Phil, I to have been seriously considering a change from shot as I very much agree in how it weakens the line,
I also first looked upon the idea of our freind Dr Mark Everard and the use of masonsry nails but to be honest wasn't really impressed as they were just to sharp and the head on em kinked the line,

I very much like yer idea here and I also like the idea of " Old Man River " in using the solder,

I'll definatly now be playing about meself with a few of these ideas,

Thanks to you both :cheers:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The only thing with solder is the lead content. Would it be classed as illegal these days.
I know the solder used on pipes nowadays has to be lead free so that would be ok.

Wal.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”