Ferrule Stoppers

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Ferrule Stoppers

Post by Liphook »

As an alternative I've seen rolled and sewn almost conical felt stoppers that are held captive to the upper flap of the rod bag. One less thing to go missing and I suspect a relatively simple job for someone handy with thread and needle. After all the are just there to stop ingress of dirt

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Those stopper look really good and getting a perfect match needs practice, I still haven't mastered it.
To save on the hardwood I make the stopper handles from it and then make the spigot from cork over dowel.

JW

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

That is an excellent first attempt. Well done indeed :Hat:

However take heed. Turning is an insidious beast. Time spent creating new things, putting random ideas into practice means less time on the bank. One day you are turning something “because the weather is too vile” to go fishing, the next minute you are making something whilst the sun is shining and the fish are biting :doh:

And of course as you have observed the purchase of additional tooling can soon far outstrip the cost of the initial lathe purchase.
However, it’s still fun to let the imagination run and put ideas into practice. I made these to complete a renovation of a particularly special Avocet. African Sonokelling (sp) rosewood, brass and cork.

And not shown is the 4 or 5 failed attempts that went in the scrap bin :hairpull:

Keep turning :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

And the bits that fly away never to be found again. It always happens just as I am adding the final touch. :Hahaha:

Wal.

JohnH
Gudgeon

Post by JohnH »

Thanks for that BB. When you buy a rod you tend not to think much about it if there are no ferrule stops; whereas in the event this could add £18 to the cost of the rod!!!! If yours work out, I would rather buy from you than someone on Ebay. Good luck with yours and just let me know how you get on. Cheers, John

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:37 pm That is an excellent first attempt. Well done indeed :Hat:

However take heed. Turning is an insidious beast. Time spent creating new things, putting random ideas into practice means less time on the bank. One day you are turning something “because the weather is too vile” to go fishing, the next minute you are making something whilst the sun is shining and the fish are biting :doh:

And of course as you have observed the purchase of additional tooling can soon far outstrip the cost of the initial lathe purchase.
However, it’s still fun to let the imagination run and put ideas into practice. I made these to complete a renovation of a particularly special Avocet. African Sonokelling (sp) rosewood, brass and cork.

And not shown is the 4 or 5 failed attempts that went in the scrap bin :hairpull:

Keep turning :Thumb:
Those are special! I've never seen anything like them and I can under stand how it takes several attempts to get right. Well done!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

And there's but buttons............

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

JW1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm And there's but buttons............

Lovely! Now that's an idea for another project :Thumb:
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”