Waltham Abbey tackle shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
John_Moore
Silver Bream

Waltham Abbey tackle shop

Post by John_Moore »

To anybody that might be looking in....
Some 50 or so years ago I fished as a lad on some of the back water's around Waltham Abbey and when I could get a few pence together got a day ticket for the River Lea or the Lea Relief channel.
We used to pester the tackle shop owner (if I remember rightly his name was Peter?) Apparently he ran the tackle shop with his brother although myself or any of my mates at the time never did see anyone else in the shop other than Peter ?
The shop was down past the church a door or two away from the convenience store where we used to go for our supplies when on a weekend of angling just up from the small river where we used to look over the bridge and watch the large chub basking in the summer sun. We never did figure out how to catch them....
I bought my first new reel in this shop, an Intrepid Extra, which being 50 years old is still taken out for a spin on the odd occasion.
Anyway sorry to go on, and I have Googled this on several occasions but to no avail (although I'm not the best Google question asker) and my question is taa daaaa....- did anybody use, or can anyone remember the name of the old Waltham Abbey tackle shop?
It's been bugging me for a while, I would say well over 10 years.

And don't forget, where ever you are and whatever you are doing in these strangest of times please do not "cough, fart, sneeze or scratch in the company of others".
I thank you all John M.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Waltham Abbey tackle shop

Post by Aitch »

The shop was P & B Hall's... if I remember correctly
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Indeed, P&B Hall. They used to sell day tickets for the Relief Channel. Had to knock loudly on the door a few times to get them up at their stated opening time! (Having travelled by buses from Stratford via Chingford Mount).

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Used to sell Halls/Leisure Sport permits.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

That's it thanks guys I can sleep soundly tonight...
I moved up to Lancashire 32 years ago and have fished the Ribble on and off over this time having barbel over 10lbs and chub over 6lbs, it really is a lovely river.
As a youngster myself and a couple of friends fished a back water which ran around the grounds of the abbey church, under the road then out into a field then back round to the road.
Over in the corner was a Weir which we named the red house as there was a house by the Weir which had a red roof.
I caught my biggest fish there at the time a 2lb8oz bream, then one thundery night fishing with a spratt my pike bung bobbed then slid of into the lilly pads by which I got smashed up in the lightening and rain by a giant pike....
There was also a club stretch which, I think was run by the factory which backed onto it, where we used to guest fish on the odd occasion, until we were either asked to leave or chased of by the club baliff...
Any other stories of fishing around the Abbey area greatly welcomed.
Thanks again fellas John M.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Thats it PJ Halls,remember it well,then there was a tackle shop just up the road by the Old English Gentleman pub,It was river road I think,proper old shop,quite big really,best way to discribe it was ,no airs or graces,Then Angling Direct came a bit further up the road and that was the end of that

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”