London fishing Rod and Reel Manufacturers.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Mr B
Arctic Char

London fishing Rod and Reel Manufacturers.

Post by Mr B »

Hi all,
Having lived in London all my life and have had the privilege of visiting some of the busiest end Friendliest fishing shops around I am Saddened because most of them, are now closed.
What I do find encouraging though is that although the tackle shops are closed old London manufacturers can still be seen on the secondhand market today.
Is there such a list of London’s Rod and real makers on this forum? So far I haven’t been able to find it.
I have read through some very interesting post though that mention some.

I do have my own shortlist of London tackle manufacturers but I know there will be more.
Any information would be great.

All the very best and tight lines.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: London fishing Rod and Reel Manufacturers.

Post by Catfish.017 »

I have a very nice rod retailed by J Pales of Bow St. A three piece all split cane Avon Deluxe 10' 6" very dark cane. Don't see many from this source.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

HiMr B, You dont give a clue as to what period of tackle dealers /manufacturers/etc you are interested in. Yes there is lots of info in various sources which I have noted down for my own reference.and historically proper lists. Are you interested in any particular areas etc? Will help if I can Tony

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Turner's "Fishing Tackle" has a limited list from bygone years.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Phil Wellers book on reels (2) has some details in the index at random.( :secret: ) Tony

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Catfish.017 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:53 pm I have a very nice rod retailed by J Pales of Bow St. A three piece all split cane Avon Deluxe 10' 6" very dark cane. Don't see many from this source.
I think you will find that J. Pale were a North London shop in Station road Wood Green London N22? :Hat:
Last edited by Lea Dweller on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some info:-
""In superb condition as it has been very well looked after. It is nice and straight with NO sets or ticks as you can see from the pictures it has its original Jesper whippings, with clear agate butt and tip rings and low-bell rings throughout. This London maker rarely comes up for sale, especially in this condition. The “BOW” on the label refers not to Bow in east London but to an old fashioned 3 letter area code for part of London – the part being the Bowes Park area of Wood Green. So, the company is actually J. Pales of Wood Green""

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

There was Cunningham's tackle shop in W9 on the Harrow Road. I'm lucky to have one of their MKIV avons, possibly a JB Walker kit rod, that might have been dressed by a chap called P. Weekes. Otherwise P. Weekes made the rod and Cunningham's sold it. Historically, the name Weekes is associated with making fishing tackle, but I don't know if they had a London base!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm Some info:-
""In superb condition as it has been very well looked after. It is nice and straight with NO sets or ticks as you can see from the pictures it has its original Jesper whippings, with clear agate butt and tip rings and low-bell rings throughout. This London maker rarely comes up for sale, especially in this condition. The “BOW” on the label refers not to Bow in east London but to an old fashioned 3 letter area code for part of London – the part being the Bowes Park area of Wood Green. So, the company is actually J. Pales of Wood Green""
What goes around comes around! I still remember when I and another member of TFF told the dealer that! It was a few years ago and the rod still hasn’t sold!

Very few people seem to know anything about Pales, and I haven’t come across anyone who collects them, so I can’t see it selling at that price!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Perhaps they used "special rod blanks from a very well known source"??!!

Anyone remember the shop? Or seen where it was?

https://harringayonline.com/photo/stati ... -green-195
Last edited by Olly on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”