Thames gudgeon

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Thames gudgeon

Post by Bobthefloat »

Hi guys I was thinking the other day it's been many years since I caught a Thames gudgeon the last one I recall was at Sonning about ten years ago.
Does anyone know of any prolific gudgeon spots on the Thames.
I know it's a bit early but I'm already thinking of the new season maybe we could even make a Tff day of it!
Regards
Terry :Hat:
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Thames gudgeon

Post by Santiago »

I caught a few gudgeon on Saturday from the Thames. There's still a few shoals around but they're not as plentiful as ten or twenty years ago. One can still catch them near Sonning but it's all club waters or private.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I'm pretty sure there are still a fair few on the Medley reach near Oxford. Many years ago I drew in an open match what I thought was my favourite swim for roach and chub about ten swims down from the Godstow Lock but had a gudgeon a cast to finish with over 300 for about 8lbs and a section win. Quite why they were so prolific that day I don't know but the next section was also won with 8lb of gudgeon and about that time some anglers had over 10lbs of them in matches.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Our club went to Laleham a couple of years ago and there were plenty of Gudgeon caught there...... all you had to do was fish little redworms or pinkies down the edge and you got loads of 'em...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Harry wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:25 pm Our club went to Laleham a couple of years ago and there were plenty of Gudgeon caught there...... all you had to do was fish little redworms or pinkies down the edge and you got loads of 'em...
I agree Harry, took my grandson there last year, we stood in the river in our shorts, he used a little whip I knocked up and caught bleak and gudgeon every cast (or slash in his case, bless him).

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

yep up near the motorway bridge @ chertsey/Laleham couple of years ago had a few from there, stick float and mag, in fact we had i think it was 8 species in one day day, it is a great mixed species fishing spot, lot of pike about in summer as well. i should get there more really as i do live in chertsey no brainer, really. maybe an excuse for a meet and a gudgeon hunt when the season starts.

regards

bjp :Hat:

i think that day we had
roach, perch, dace, skimmer, gudgeon, pike, chub and bleak

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

gudgeon have allmost vanished on the river itchen,not sure if cormerants are to blame, or wether its a breeding cycle

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Bjp wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:03 pm yep up near the motorway bridge @ chertsey/Laleham couple of years ago had a few from there, stick float and mag, in fact we had i think it was 8 species in one day day, it is a great mixed species fishing spot, lot of pike about in summer as well. i should get there more really as i do live in chertsey no brainer, really. maybe an excuse for a meet and a gudgeon hunt when the season starts.

regards

bjp :Hat:

i think that day we had
roach, perch, dace, skimmer, gudgeon, pike, chub and bleak
I've been up that way many times for a reckie but never wet a line I don't think. might be nice to try sort a day out like you say bjp

Rotrax
Rudd

Post by Rotrax »

No motorway bridge the last time I fished there but it was always a great mixed fishery.

At 13 years old my second biggest fish came from Laleham, a 2lb 3oz Perch.

Took a bleak I was reeling in and hooked itself on the number 14 eyed hook.

Pure accident, but I'll take it.

I reported in the Dace thread my younger brother caught a stonker at Laleham too, in the same swim.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I don't get to fish the Thames much these days. When I have, not a single gobio to be found. I fished many sections years ago and caught loads. They were often the bulk of the catch. In fact I don't recall catching a single gonk in the last 25 years from any water, very sad.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”