Tom's River

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Tom's River

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I was paying £1,000.00 a year for coarse fishing on just one still water with a close season several years ago.

My Great Grandfather was the chief brewer at Shipstone's brewery for those who remember 'Shippo's' as we used to call it. A favourite story of my family that was often brought up when it was too late to worry about telling the same old stories was when my Great Grandfather was in his local and a mate of his asked...

"When are Shippo's going to stop putting the price of their ale up"?

To which my Great Grandfather replied...

"When you daft buggers stop paying for it".

I guess I was one of those daft buggers. :Hat:

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

that first link works perfectly for me.

Filmed I believe by the same guy that did " A passion for Angling "
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Badger
Grayling

Post by Badger »

RBTraditional wrote:Yes its a grand per angler Stu....the estate don't want coarse anglers.... they want it to be a game syndicate.....better class of angler apparently :snooty:
His Lordship wanted a Salmon for his table, not a Barbel if I recall correctly. :snooty: :Scared:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They still have coarse anglers but I had a ticket for all at £450+. Gradually that increased to £500+ - then £700 for all fishing (trout, salmon and coarse). Following season £1000 for all species and £600 for coarse only. Having only hooked 1 salmon whilst I was a Member - I left. Several colleagues are still Members.

I moved down the valley to the Ringwood area, again a syndicate, well 3 really.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Robbi wrote:that first link works perfectly for me.
The Old Buffer wrote:
Yes I couldn't get it to work. Don't know what the problem was using the "YouTube" button. I have changed it to "URL" now.[/quote]

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

RBTraditional wrote:Yes its a grand per angler Stu....the estate don't want coarse anglers.... they want it to be a game syndicate.....better class of angler apparently :snooty:
Blimey £1000 syndicate, I personally think they've obviously got more money than sence game or no game, yea quite agree :snooty:
Makes you laugh realy don't it when you think that most fishing companies rely on the coarse n carp scene :eyebrow:

unless you work in farlows :Hahaha:

Stuart

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Robbi wrote:that first link works perfectly for me.

Filmed I believe by the same guy that did " A passion for Angling "
Wasn't surprised to see who was the maker of that film. Enjoyed it very much.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

really interesting stuff;looks much work a river keeper has to do..

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well 2 seasons after leaving and fishing farther downstream the Longford is still going strong as far as Game - trout fishing - goes.

A 30+ pike and good barbel still being caught by the reduced number of coarse anglers.

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:
Blimey £1000 syndicate, I personally think they've obviously got more money than sence game or no game, yea quite agree :snooty:
Makes you laugh realy don't it when you think that most fishing companies rely on the coarse n carp scene :eyebrow:

unless you work in farlows :Hahaha:

Stuart
money is relative and people will pay what they can afford, buying peace in some cases, though not always. My game fishing club was around £2,500 so worthy of a cor blimey especially considering the £2500 circa joining fee.

I don't know what "most companies" are really? The coarse orientated seem to be small bands of brothers getting stuff made in the far east then selling relatively cheaply. Game has possibly fewer vendors but uses the far east too, of course. Pricier mostly, but smaller market probably.

Return to “River Avon”