Due to the generosity of Chavender .....

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Due to the generosity of Chavender .....

Post by AshbyCut »

..... I now have a new project through which I can try to extend my knowledge base.

I came home from the AGM with this example of an Aspindale's 'The Aero 892,' which Chavender felt he had no time to restore and most kindly gave to me for the price of a handshake !!!

On the plus side ... the ferrules are fine, as are the butt and tip rings ...

However ... the gentleman noticed a 'creaking' when playing a chub, and close examination revealed some delamination in both butt and centre sections. Having been over it with my loup (not my Loop ! :Wink: ) ... I have now identified 3 areas on the butt and three on the centre section, measuring between 3 and 6 inches long. Once I get the varnish off there may be more.

As can be seen, the handle has also been thickly varnished at some point in it's history, and the tip section, whilst apparently delamination free, has a slight downwards 'set,' more than can be described as a 'droop,' so I can practice with my newly acquired heat gun.

So ... after making use of Cascamite to heal a split on my Allcock's 'Isis' butt section, I now have the opportunity to attempt to heal delamination for the first time ... a super chance to learn, and a chance so generously provided by Chavender.

Thank you, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Due to the generosity of Chavender .....

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Just a point of interest as I also have an Aspindale rod - each section was numbered when originally manufactured and on two of the sections of this rod I can see the number 2 so if the third section also bears a number 2 then the whole I would suggest is an original rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

PershoreHarrier wrote:Just a point of interest as I also have an Aspindale rod - each section was numbered when originally manufactured and on two of the sections of this rod I can see the number 2 so if the third section also bears a number 2 then the whole I would suggest is an original rod.
Indeed they do all match, Sir. Thankyou.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks like a nice project and potentially a very nice rod indeed
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This will be interesting.....once de-lamination sets in they're thought to be past repair, but I've always felt that a chap with time and patience might save the day.....
After all, the cane is still sound, it's the glue that has failed...if the cane can be cleaned of the failed glue and a modern decent glue properly applied.........?

I can't help but wondering if the expanding properties of original Gorilla Glue might be of assistance here.......

Though we are creatures of habit....I've just used Cascamite to repair splits in a whole cane butt that would surely have benefited from the penetration of an expanding glue.

If you can save it you're going to have quite a rod on your hands....those hollow-built Aeros are quite special.

The tip ring alone is worth a bob or two as well.....

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks for the information Nobby, Sir. Invaluable as ever.

Should it really be 'past repair' at least my blunderings can't make it any worse !

I shall be investigating 'Gorilla Glue' whilst I strip it, though my first problem is that my usual "Strypit" paint stripper is having little or no effect on whatever gunk has been applied to the cork handle. As this is obviously going to be a long term thing, I may decide to go for a handle rebuild.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

You might find this thread useful for reference AC. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5191

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

JohnL wrote:You might find this thread useful for reference AC. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5191
Thanks for that JohnL, Sir ... but I already had your thread in mind. :Hat:

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”