Can you identify the swim?

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
Rusty
Ruffe

Can you identify the swim?

Post by Rusty »

All of these swims featured in the Midwinter Madness episode of A Passion for Angling. One’s obvious but can you identify the other three?

To help the photos are in the same order as the swims appeared in the programme.

Last edited by Rusty on Mon May 27, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Can you identify the swim?

Post by Olly »

I fish about 50m below the last one!

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Is the last one where they caught those pike? I don't know any swims by name.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

Kingfisher wrote:Is the last one where they caught those pike? I don't know any swims by name.
Yes, the weedrack is a bit rotten now and wouldn't support one person let alone two.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Have they changed much fishwise since midwinter madness? They don't seem to have changed much in appearance.

Izaak Walton

Rusty
Ruffe

Post by Rusty »

No they haven't changed much in terms of fish the exception being large roach, they are still around apparently but not in the same numbers.

The first swim is the opening sequence with CY on the right rolling meat for chub and BJ hunkered down on the left beside the bridge catching a troot. The next pic is where CY poached James' swim and got a catapult full of maggots for his trouble. The third pic is my favourite swim, it's where CY boiled the Kelly Kettle and BJ took revenge by catching a chub on his rod. It's still a good spot for chub and I always pay it a visit when I fish the venue.

The weedrack holds good chub and pike. The first time I fished it was with a friend who was a keen pike angler, he started fishing while I was cooking up breakfast. He shouted that he might be getting a bite so I rushed out of the hut (it's still there) and we both stood gazing at his float, visibly shaking. He did catch a pike, only 8lbs or so but it made our day.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Sounds Lovely Rusty and brings back memories of the series. Many thanks

I wish they'd make another series like it along there, preferably with someone layed back and not someone who shouts their heads off at any given moment like some of the drivel they're churning out. Still a fishing programme of any sort is better than none at all I surpose. :Thumb:

Izaak Walton

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Have fished three of those swims, the Kelly Kettle swim has never produced much for me although funnily enough i have found the swims immediately up and downstream very reliable.

Of the others the weir is where i had the most fun, excellent for Perch and Chub on the right day.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Mamy years ago I had 3 2lb roach in 3 casts sat on that weed rack trotting a float and bread flake down stream.
Bumble

Return to “River Kennet”