Aspindale

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Aspindale

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Nobby wrote:Since Peter Aspindale once said that he thought all their rods were hollow-built, I'd expect your Gemdale to something like my slightly earlier Avondale, Reelmaker .... and it is indeed a lovely roach rod. Judging by the late transfer on your rod it will be one made by Peter himself so surely hollow-built.

Perhaps not as quick to strike or mend line as a modern carbon rod it should feel very light in the hand. I know a couple of other folk with Avondales and nobody is selling theirs.

I'm not sure how the Avondale name came about...it is no Avon rod at all being clearly designed for close-in light fishing in gentle rivers. Perhaps that explains why Peter's 10'6" rod has another name...?
I took my very much abused Avondale which was rescued from a Redditch Tip by someone I knew to Peter Aspindale some years ago and his wife Audrey kindly restored it for me.The rod originally bore the Avondale name in indian ink written by Peter but this was lost in the restoration. Peter was not able to re-do the script so the rod now bears a Dalesman sticker although it was an earlier rod.

The rod is hollow built bottom and middle section and handles much better than I expected. It is not an Avon type rod being somewhat lighter but still is very nice to use.
Last edited by PershoreHarrier on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, it's a funny name...bit misleading almost.

I hadn't twigged some of these rods had hollow centre sections too. Only yesterday a vistor hefted the centre section of one and said he thouht it was hollow-built and I realised it was indeed much lighter than other rods of apparently similar dimensions.

Sorry to hear the Gemdale wasn't up to snuff.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends I have all the money back ,and Iwill say the seller was an honest man.Reelmaker.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Ah Good, - a proper seller on ebay. :Thumb:
niceroach

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends I have won a Avondale 10.6 on eBay fully restored but at £142 I hope to get it this week and will let you know the outcome.Reelmaker.Well last week the Avondale arrived but again there where worrying issues, however Ive sent this one back and Im still looking for a light float rod.Reelmaker.

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”