An unusual common

This forum is for discussing carp.
Carp Artist
Arctic Char

An unusual common

Post by Carp Artist »

I caught this 6 lb common carp a while ago from a small pond I used to fish. The fish put up a good show and was every bit a fighter. After I had removed the hook I noticed that the carp had a complete lack of Pelvic fins. The only other fish I know of with this defect was a famous fish that resided in Redmire pool. Has anyone else caught a carp with a similar defect?

Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Wild Duck

Re: An unusual common

Post by Wild Duck »

Yes, I once caught a 17lber from a pond which had the same defect!...it took me a few moments to notice....very strange

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

I once caught a common carp from a place called frontier city/Retallack owned by the Bazely family...This fish had no eyes and was in perfect condition..also there was another two in the lake which were similar size wise also having no eyes at all..

my Neighbour once caught two of them within minutes of each other,when we fished the lakes for charity over twenty years ago..

Also i caught a boomerang shaped common from a `Lanson`venue when i was in my late teens/early twentys....it was about 5lb ....last year i revisited the same pool and again caught a Boomerang shaped common of 19lbs......i could tell it was the same fish by the ottered and regenerated dorsal...i remembered the damage and wrote it in my note book.from the first capture ...a lucky carp indeed to have survived...

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Wandle1 wrote:I once caught a common carp from a place called frontier city/Retallack owned by the Bazely family...This fish had no eyes and was in perfect condition..also there was another two in the lake which were similar size wise also having no eyes at all..

my Neighbour once caught two of them within minutes of each other,when we fished the lakes for charity over twenty years ago..

Also i caught a boomerang shaped common from a `Lanson`venue when i was in my late teens/early twentys....it was about 5lb ....last year i revisited the same pool and again caught a Boomerang shaped common of 19lbs......i could tell it was the same fish by the ottered and regenerated dorsal...i remembered the damage and wrote it in my note book.from the first capture ...a lucky carp indeed to have survived...
hi Wandle1 i once visited retallick , met a chap called HARRY. One of my lake hunting expeditions.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Carp Artist wrote:
Wandle1 wrote:I once caught a common carp from a place called frontier city/Retallack owned by the Bazely family...This fish had no eyes and was in perfect condition..also there was another two in the lake which were similar size wise also having no eyes at all..

hi Wandle1 i once visited retallick , met a chap called HARRY. One of my lake hunting expeditions.

Hi CA....i remember a `Harry`,at least the one i knew was around 87/88/89 era.....also i do believe the `carping vicar`was a `Harry` as well.....

ps......Retallick is now my idea of angling hell....all those dog kennel lodges ,dont mention the `surf machine `just for the amusement of `they party`...............shame as all you could once hear is the sound of the cuckoo in the summer .........

cheers wandle1

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”