MK IV HELP

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

MK IV HELP

Post by Harry H »

I have a MKIV that I use regularly but it does have a couple of problems with the handle. The previous owner did not like the doughnut handle so ground it down.My request is can anyone tell me the circumference and width of the doughnut so I can make a repair.I am not worried about the other damage but it would be nice to stop the reel bands falling off every time I put the rod away :Thumb:

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Re: MK IV HELP

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Just checked my MkIV avon and the doughnut cork top is 1 3/16" x 5/8" my MkIV has an onion type top so I can't help with that but the avon will give you some idea.
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Thanks Hoppy the width seems to be the first section of cork on the handle which is what I was expecting,I would have thought the Avon and Carp would have been the same.
Thanks again :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I demand you seek this "previous" owner out and have at him! One of the nicest features of the rod.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Harry H wrote:Thanks Hoppy the width seems to be the first section of cork on the handle which is what I was expecting,I would have thought the Avon and Carp would have been the same.
I know were talking B. James here but I have one of each from Sharpes and the Avon has a more slender handle than the carp.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Prince of Durham wrote:I demand you seek this "previous" owner out and have at him! One of the nicest features of the rod.
I would love to oblige but I have no weegee board and I don't know of a medium :laugh: :laugh:
Anthony Shepherdson

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Beresford wrote:
Harry H wrote:Thanks Hoppy the width seems to be the first section of cork on the handle which is what I was expecting,I would have thought the Avon and Carp would have been the same.
I know were talking B. James here but I have one of each from Sharpes and the Avon has a more slender handle than the carp.
yes I just measured both and the Avon is 7/8" and the MKIV is 15/16" so might be worth adding that 1/16" on to the doughnut measurement
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”