Acorns

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Martin

Acorns

Post by Martin »

Being an engineer by trade I have the opportunity to use the lathe at work on my breaks, some will of seen that last week I modified a Leeds centrepin for a mate this week I've been on with a couple of projects for some fellow forumites.

Last night I turned up some acorn stoppers these are the standard hardwood ones but I'm doing some from other materials that I need to order once I get back off my jollies

Superglue really does work well as a finish on smooth wood really brings the grain through the finish you can see how flat the wood looks on the pips that are uncoated. Once I've got these out the way I might turn some more as ferrule stoppers although I'll end up putting them in a pocket and losing them knowing me

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Acorns

Post by Nobby »

How do you intend to fix the cork to these?....just solid cork with a short recess for the pips?

I ask, because usually the wood goes all the way through the cork and that's the hard part to turn...it so often breaks.

After the fourth or fifth one has hit you on the forehead I tend to lose interest...... :Hahaha:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice looking turning. I'm with Nobby. I have just finished turning two stoppers for handles which have the ferrules in them (1 fly rod, 1 coarse rod). I too broke some of the cane inserts turning the cork. Frustrating but rewarding when done
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Martin

Post by Martin »

Yes I was just going to pop a recess into the cork and epoxy it in with the pip, I don't have the problem of them snapping as I use a metal lathe rather then a wood lathe between centres

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I too use a metalworking lathe...just...it's the Munchkin size:

http://images01.olx.co.za/ui/20/92/95/1 ... strand.jpg

I made a few successfully, so went out and bought about 30 feet of beech dowel and scoured the local forests for good dry 'interesting' wood. Since then I seem to have lost the knack .... and have most certainly lost my bottle.

Martin

Post by Martin »

These are turned from iriko

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

Martin,
if you get stuck for some cork i have some 12mm wide x 1/2" deep that's what i've used on mine for the split shot holders in the float tubes and also drilled and stuck 3 together for cork float bodies,if you want,just ask m8 and i'll send you some,

Barney

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”