lateral lines on wild/feral carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: lateral lines on wild/feral carp

Post by Dave Burr »

I've had a look through my old pictures and apart from being amazed at how young I once was, I can't find any commons with pronounced lateral lines. Sure you haven't drawn it on in biro just to make people like me spend too long looking at old pictures Smallscale?

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Dave Burr wrote:I've had a look through my old pictures and apart from being amazed at how young I once was, I can't find any commons with pronounced lateral lines. Sure you haven't drawn it on in biro just to make people like me spend too long looking at old pictures Smallscale?
Well, I managed to find one without too much trouble...

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very interesting post this. As you can see on the first photo the lateral line is very noticable whereas the second photo there is non. Both fish have come from the same pond. Iv'e caught a lot of carp from here and they are all commoms

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Somewhere inbetween - a faint lateral is visible on this Other Pool common, certainly a King Carp...
Aglthree.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Just went through a few photos and out of a couple dozen only a few had a noticably pronounced line

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Smallscale wrote:I wonder if hasn't something to do with the number of generations the fish represents?
Accepting that there are bound to be exceptions; all the ones I've caught with lateral line have been long, slender and dark. But not all of them...so maybe if a fish is of a lineage that's 20 generations old for example, is more likely to have it-or not for that matter.
oh and yes Dave the line was tattoed on in a proper parlour so as not to cause damage to the fish. Biro would be for plebs...we do things properly in South Africa! :Hahaha:
I was thinking the same about generations, Smallscale - and yes, you'll always get throwbacks, even with kings - so perhaps you are right - it's a wildie trait that sometimes manifests itself in kings..?
The trouble is, how can we prove it scientifically?

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”